What's the Downside of Having Lipoma Removed?

I have a lipoma on the right side of my upper back. It does not hurt or bother me, but it is fairly large and has grown a little in the past several years. Surgery is recommended. I'm not to sure about doing it. What is the down side & recovery period?

Thanks,
no1actor

Lipoma Removal

+2

To remove the lipoma you will trade off for a scar. The length of the scar depends on the technique used to remove the mass. As with any surgery, other potential complications such as bleeding, hematoma, infection, scar, possible recurrence are among the possibilities to consider when deciding whether or not to undergo elective surgery. Does the benefit outweigh the risk? If you are asymptomatic, no pain or numbness, it may not be worth it unless it is physically debilitating.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon