Down-turned Mouth After Chin Implant and Liposuction

After a chin implant and liposuction, my mouth is pulled down and my smile has not fully returned (at Week 5). I can see how my smile may return, but I’m worried about my mouth having a decidedly turned down look for the rest of my life. What needs to loosen (or tighten) to return my mouth to its former shape?

Mouth asymmetry after chin implant

+1

this will likely resolve over the next 2-3 months (easier for other say than for you to live through).  If the asymmetry bother you a great deal sometime a small amount of Botox on the normal side will help the symmetry

Should resolve after a few months

+1

The chin implant can be removed if needed. There is a possibility of having a temporary paralysis of the lower branch of the facial nerve called the marginal mandibular nerve. This can make the lower lip appear turned down, but usually is only unilateral, and is a one-sided crooked smile on animation. This usually resolves over the next several months. This is from a stretching or bruising of the nerve submental area and almost always returns on its own to normal functioning.

Visit your surgeon

+1

Hi Lilacs,

The procedure for chin implantation generally does not cause a downturned mouth. The lower lip and chin muscles may have some dysfunction in the shor term. This generally improves after a few months... and it can take months.

As it is hard to tell from your description what may be the cause of what you see in the mirror, the best thing to do (as always) is visit your surgeon for an examination, and reassurance.

Behrooz Torkian, MD