I Had a Doughnut Lift 8 Days Ago and the Bottom of my Areola is Raised and Overhanging Will It Go? (photo)

I had breast implants and a lift done via the doughnut method 8 days ago. Of course i am not healed yet and am still swollen and soar however, the bottom on my left areola is raised and almost overhanging, it is not at the same level of the skin on my breast . I am worried that it will not go down and that i will need corrective surgery - has anyone ever experienced this? will it go down or has something gone wrong?

Will It Go?

+1

As the sutures dissolve and the healing skin remodels, all the pleats/gathers will become less and less noticeable over about 6 months. All the best. 

The swelling will improve

+1

You are early on in your healing phase.  As the suture is tightened the breast skin is drawn toward your chest which leaves the areola a little more away from your chest wall in relation to the breast skin.  With decrease in swelling and some moderation of the tension the issue that you are seeing should improve.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Healing after a periareolar mastopexy

+1

This is very common with the type of lift that you had.  Just a small amount of swelling behind the areola can distort the shape.  This will go down over the next couple of weeks.  From these pictures it does not appear any revisional surgery will be needed. I hope this helps.

Kindest regards

Neil J. Zemmel

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Midlothian Plastic Surgeon

Lumpy nipple

+1

Don't worry this will go down given enough time.Massage will help it settle down sooner.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Doughnut lift scarring

+1

Two things to remember:  it is way too early to look at the areolas scars now...these will flatten more with time.  It is very common to have areolas scar irregularities at this point.  Most will flatten but it will depend on how your body heals.  Patience.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

I Had a Doughnut Lift 8 Days Ago and the Bottom of my Areola is Raised and Overhanging Will It Go?

+1

The photo demonstrate the early stages of healing following a "donut" lifting. This irregular edges are common but you really need better follow up with your chosen surgeon to fully understand the operation. This should have occurred in your pre operative consult. Please seek in person examination and detailed explanation. 

Swollen and overhanging areolar shortly after surgery - will it improve?

+1

The most important thing is not to panic - you are ONLY 8-days after surgery, and your areolar appears very swollen from the pictures. I would recommend leaving things for several MONTHS before assessing the final result. In all likelihood, the swelling will settle, things will improve, and with proper scar care and massage, all will settle well.

Marc Pacifico, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon