Doubts About Neck Lift - Scars and Healing

I'm scheduled for a necklift & having doubts. I'm 45/W/F, w/a little lax skin in the throat area. I need an opinion. How bad are the scars? How long to heal? Will I look odd or uneven? I had an upper bleph & that was easy, but the necklift is scaring me & I don't know why. Maybe I'm afraid that a necklift will have to keep being redone as I age b/c I had the surgery (vs no surgery). A friend said "once you cut, you always have to cut."

Necklift scars and healing

+3

The incisions for a neck lift are composed of one incision in the submental crease that is approximately three-quarters of an inch long and two incisions behind the ears that are approximately one-half of an inch long. The neck lift tightens the platysmal muscle above the Adam’s apple and removes fat above and below the muscle. This gives a nice 90-degree angle contour to the neck. Excess skin cannot be addressed through a neck lift, it can be addressed only through a face/neck lift.  

Neck lift incisions and healing

+2
The incision for a neck lift may be as simple as a 1 inch incision under the chin. If you are having a more comprehensive lift, there would also be incisions around the ears. I agree with you-I don't know why you are more scared about the neck scars than those from an upper lid blepharoplasty. As others have said, nervousness is normal. If you have serious doubts, I would encourage you to return to your plastic surgeon with a list of specific questions to be addressed. A neck lift, well performed, can last for many years so I would trust the experts over your friend's aphorism.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Necklift Healing

+2

It is perfectly normal to be a bit nervous before surgery!  Since you had a good experience with your previous operations, you should do fine.  Scars are usually well-hidden and easy to camouflage while healing - just look back at your other scars.  Rather than always needing additional surgery because you had a necklift, a procedure done early will allow you to look good for a longer time.  Of course, you may require additional procedures or touch-ups as time goes by, but not because of your necklift.  Be sure to discuss your fears and concerns with your doctor. 

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Necklift healing process

+2

The procedure to remove excess neck skin is generally well accepted with minimal risks. That being said scarring around the ears can be significant if you are not a good healer. However, if you had your eyelids done and the scars are good and if you have any other incisions on you and they healed well, then you should have no healing issues with this procedure. Typically, the scars are around the ears and if you have hair coverage even poor scars can be well hidden. Necklifts typically last longer in younger patients than older ones so you should get more improvement. There are many good board certified facial plastic surgeons in Maryland.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift Concerns

+1

It is common to have doubts, and to be nervous. However, please know that every surgeon employs different techniques and incisions. That is why it is important that you discuss your concerns at length with your facial plastic surgeon.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Neck Lift Scars and Healing

+1

In my experience most patients find recovery from a neck lift easier than recovery from a Blepharoplasty which you have already had.

The scars are typically well concealed under the chin and behind the ears.

Most patients feel tightness of the neck for about two weeks but pain is unusual.

The key is that you trust your surgeon. Express your concerns to him/her. Make certain your concerns are addressed and that you are comfortable before proceeding.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Neck Lift and Scarring?

+1

Given your concerns, it would be in your best interest to discuss these concerns with your plastic surgeon who can demonstrate the exact incision lines planned.  You may be able to view pictures or patients in person who have had the same procedure performed.

This source of information should be much more valuable than what you receive online or from your friend.

Best wishes.

Neck Lift Scars

+1

Typically speaking the scars from a neck lift heal very nicely, assuming you see a qualified Facial Plastic Surgeon.  If you are bothered by your appearance, if you have the indications for a Necklift, and if you have a Surgeon you trust, you are better following your own instincts than the "advice" of friends.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift issues

+1

A neck lift varies in terms of what needs to be done.  It is normal to be nervous before the procedure but the things you are unahppy about shoudl be correctable with this procedure.