Double Vision Caused by Botox Migration?

A week and a half ago i woke up with double vision in my right eye when i look down. I've seen an eye specialist and ive had an MRI, eyes are healthy and so is brain. The eye specialist agrees that there's a muscle in my eye that's not working but she can't put her finger on why or how to fix it. She asked if i'd had botox, which i had in my forehead 6 weeks before, she thinks it could be that botox has migrated down to a muscle in my eye, is this possible so far after the initial injections???

It is not botox. The timing is wrong.

+2

If you had Botox 6 weeks ago but developed double vision 1.5 weeks ago, then these two events are unrelated.  I would recommend a referral to a neuro-ophthalmologist if your general ophthalmologist can't determine the basis for the new onset double vision.  A very famous neuro-ophthalmologist once said that neuro-ophthalmology is the study of reportedly normal imaging studies.

Botox and side effects

+1

From what you've described, 6 weeks after a Botox injection you wouldn't be suffering from double vision. If you aren't getting a diagnosis or answers from your current physician, get a second opinion and a thorough assessment to rule out further potential concerns.

Sam Naficy, MD

Botox and double vision

+1

Botox can cause double vision, but only if it is injected relatively near an extraocular muscle (migrating from the forehead would be very unusual). The effects would be seen within 7-10 days of injection, just as they would with your facial muscles.  There are lots of other reasons to get double vision, which a neuro-ophthalmologist could sort out for you.  

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

If the double vision happened right after the Botox injections, they may be related however  6 weeks later, it's probably not related.  You should have a further workup to rule out other causes.

Double vision by Botox? No.

+1

Double vision at this point in time isn't from the Botox. When we say that Botox "migrates" that's a very tiny amount, and it moves a miniscule amount. It won't move from your forehead into your eye muscles. Especially not after 6 weeks - it happens in a matter of days. So, something else is happening..

F. Victor Rueckl, MD