Double masectomy due to brca1 had tissue expanders exchanged for implants 3 months ago I have cellulitus in left breast? (photo)

Been on iv antibiotics for 11 days but changed to stronger ones 2 days ago with definate improvement but they still say I could lose implant, I do not want to lose this implant I am 29 and want to know every option I have of not having to be left with nothing for months while it heals, this breast was a lot worse at the beginning so is there a chance?

Breast reconstruction

+1
I am sorry you have this problem.

Three basic forms of breast reconstruction exist. You can use your own tissue, implants or a combination of the previous two techniques. Your own tissue can be used in the form of the DIEP flap, PAP flap, SGAP flap or fat grafting. Implants can be done in one stage or two stage. Two stage reconstructions are started by placing expanders at the time of mastectomy. Once they expanders are placed they are able to be inflated as determined by wound healing. The final time consists of combining any of the above techniques.

If you are interested in being see in Austin please give us a call. I know this is a difficult time for you. The majority of my practice is devoted to reconstruction for women with breast cancer or who are BRCA+

Infected implants?

+1

If you have cellulitis and it has not responded well to IV antibiotics, you may ultimately require the expander to be removed. Reconstruction can be reattempted after 3-6 months once the wound has healed.

Breast reconstruction

+1

It is a cellulitis and you are being treated with antibiotics to try to save the reconstruction. How ever the cellulitis could be straight forward superficial cellulitis or the tip of the iceberg with infected implant.

Once an implant is infected, the only treatment is to remove the implant, IV antibiotics followed by oral antibiotics. Then wait 6 months before another implant can be put in again, because of high chance of re infection. Other option is flap reconstruction when the infection is completely healed.

Samir Shureih MD.FACS

sshureih@msn.com