Double Eyelid Surgery: Abnormal Swelling 1 Year After Revision? (photo)

I've had two double eyelid surgeries. The second was to "correct" the first, for a slightly larger lid. It's been a year since the second surgery and I still have swelling. There's no pain, just swelling. Is this normal? If not, is it permanent and what should I do?

Eyelid swelling

+1

Looking at the photo with the eyelid closed, there seems to be some redness and maybe scaly appearance to the lids? If this is the case, there may be some allergic component.

As mentioned by others, you need an examination. Comparison with the other eyelid is also helpful.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Trouble

+1

Double folds can be difficult to evaluate over the internet.  I recommend an personal consultation with an experienced Cosmetic Surgeon.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hard to answer this without an actual personal examination.

+1

It is interesting that you have two incision in the upper eyelid. The right upper eyelid appears to have too much orbicularis oculi muscle left in the eyelid platform.  This can contribute to relative fullness.  It would be helpful to have a straight ahead photo that includes both eyes.  Generally this type of fix is well beyond the skill level of the average Asian eyelid surgeon.

Double Eyelid Surgery

+1

The first thing to do is to contact your surgeon and let him/her determine the best course of action. What you are experiencing is not "normal" but is no doubt correctable. Does your right lid sit on your eyeball at the same level as on the left? Does it open and close normally? Your surgeon can address these issues. It may be something as simple as scarring that would improve with steroid injections.

William M. Ramsdell, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon