What Can I Do About my Double Chin and Neck Lines?

Hi I am 30 years old and I have had these lines on my neck and double chin since i was a child. What if anything can be done to correct this. Thank you so much. It's really making me miserable.

Liposuction can help double chin, but be very careful about treating neck lines

+3

Chin or neck Liposuction can achieve good correction of a double chin.

However if your neck lines are horizontal, that is they run across the neck, they are very difficult to treat because they are caused by the contraction of the underlying Platsyma Muscle.

Laser resurfacing of the neck can be VERY dangerous. I certainly would not attempt a Laser Resurfacing of the neck at the same time as Liposuction of the Neck. The interference with blood supply to the skin by combining these procedures could cause severe healing problems and very significant scars.

DeepFX and Active FX are CO2 lasers, even though they are fractiuonal. Serious scarring has been reported and shown at professional meetings following the use of fractional CO2 laser treatments of the neck.

If laser resurfacing of your neck were to be considered I would only use a Fractional Erbium 2940 Laser on neck skin, and only as a separate procedure from the Neck Liposuction.

Because of the neck muscle function I would expect the lines to come backl in time

+3

It's difficult to tell from the picture, but you seem to have some fullness in the lower neck.  Is it possible your thyroid is enlarged?  Worth checking...

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combine Smartlipo and Deep FX for the neck

+2

A Smartlipo procedure would improve your “double-chin” contour and add an overall skin tightening effect. I would consider adding a Deep and Active FX treatment to improve the horizontal creases and refine your overall skin texture.

Daniel Levy, MD
Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon

Neck lines and chin fat

+2

Neck and chin fat can be treated using liposuction and in this particular instance, I have found laser lipolysis to be beneficial. Neck lines are a harder problem to fix and may benefit from numerous interventions including cervicoplasty (neck lift) with a staged resurfacing procedure.

My Double Chin and Neck Lines

+2

Thanks for the photo. Not many choices, If you want minimal surgery than consider fillers or regenerating fillers, like Selphyl. Fat grafts could help the lines. As for fat chin I recommend Smart Lipo. 

Liposuction a good option

+2

The picture is a bit dark, but it does appear that you have some heaviness under your chin.  This is usually from fat and can be removed by liposuction.  Liposuction is minimally invasive and has a relatively quick healing time.  There are no sutures and it can be done under local anesthesia.  Liposuction will help shape the chin and neck by removing fat and contouring under the chin and along the underside of your jawline.  The skin contracts over a period of 2-3 months providing more sculpting.

The horizontal lines you refer to can be difficult to improve upon.  The liposuction will help minimally.  After the liposuction heals, you might consider some laser resurfacing to reduce the lines.  Active FX CO2 is a good option but it might require 2 treatments. Pelleve, radiofrequency tightening, is another option for  a no-downtime procedure to help provide some modest improvement and can be paired with botox or fillers for additional improvement.

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Chin Liposuction

+1

There are many options for this so an evaluation by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will give you a list of options from surgery to fillers. Thank you for your questions.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon