Lose Weight or Mini Lift for Double Chin?

I have a double chin that's not too bad; but bad enough to make me feel unhappy when I look at it. I am 43 years old, and relatively in good shape. I do need to lose about 40 lbs. though. Will the fat under my chin go away as I lose weight and/or would it be better to consider a Mini Lift? I don't have much money.

Liposuction of double chins under local for only $2500 is money well spent.

+3

Double chins can really be improved with liposuction under local anesthesia and you are back to work in only 1-2 days for only $2500 on special. It can really be that great motivator to working out and dieting more when you look better right away and have more self confidence. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Lose weight or mini lift for double chin?

+1

If you are 40 pounds overweight, the odds are high that your double chin will disappear. Did you have a double chin 40 pounds ago? Save the money. Lose the weight and then it is possible that you may need some sort of mini lift after to deal with some stretched skin. But right now your health is more important. Drop the 40 pounds and you will feel much better about the way you look and feel.

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Double chin

+1

If you are 40 lbs overweight, it is always better to lose the weight and see what happens to your double chin. More than likely it will go away.

Achieve a stable weight prior to elective cosmetic surgery

+1

As mentioned you should be in optimal health, to the best of your ability, prior to undergoing elective surgery.

Furthermore, if you have the procedure performed now and lose the weight, it could effect the results of your procedure. When you lose weight, you lose fat but you also rely on the skin to contract. It is difficult to estimate your skin elasticity but at 43 it should be relatively good.

If your skin has poor elasticity, weight loss could produce loose skin which may be unacceptable

Double chin

+1

Of course it is best to be as healthy as possible. If that means losing excess weight, then that is recommended before surgery. If after weight loss the submental area is still not ideal, liposuction possibly with muscle tightening can give fantastic results. If loose skin is also present, patients may achieve their best result with a facelift as well.

Our version of neck tightening is the Neck-Lace (TM), an interlacing technique for the neck that anchors the platysma muscle more broadly than a conventional corset platysmaplasty.

Brent Moelleken, MD