Double Chin Liposuction - Motor Nerve Side Effect

I had double chin liposuction surgery and the same problem to my lip motor nerves happened, i.e after 10 days when i laugh my lower lip doesn't come down, I already know that it may take several weeks to recover but I wonder to know what if the nerves don't come back smoothly? is there any further hope or procedure to help the nerves to recover after the recovery period?

Chin Liposuction

+1

You should be evaluated by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is familiar with the anatomy and procedure in the area.  The nerve may be bruised, and swelling may impair full function.  A consult is needed for further assessment.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

+1

Neuropraxia of the marginal mandibular branch of the VII nerve occurs and is short lasting. But neuroparesis or transcection of this nerve is permanent, I doubt you have this. Best to be closely followed by your surgeon. Steroids could be slightly beneficial. Be patient for a few months. 

Classic marginal mandibular nerve injury.

+1

This is most typically caused by using an oversized or aggressive cannula design in the face causing increase motor nerve trauma.  Recover normally occurs but the recovery is not always complete.  Because you are relatively early from the trauma, I would recommend being patient.  Emperically, your surgeon could try a short course of steroids or hyperbaric oxygen to see if these treatments make any difference.  It is unlikely that these treatment will change your ultimately outcome but you might be encouraged if there is a faster recovery progress. 

Marginal Mandibular Nerve Weakness After Jowl Liposuction

+1

When performing neck liposuction around the jowl areas, the marginal mandibular branchs of the facial nerve are at risk for injury. These nerves control the depressor muscles of the lower lip. Thus when traumatized, the lower lip will go up on the affected side with smiling as the downward pulling muscles are weakened or don't work. While not rare, the vast majority of these nerve injuries from liposuction go on to complete recovery in weeks to a few months. These nerve branches are so small that nerve repair after injury is not possible should the muscle weakness persist. In somes cases, the nerve recovery can be very slow and may take more than just a few months. But if the weakness persists with no change after a year, then the muscle weakness and lower lip deformity will be permanent.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD