Implant Revision Due to Double Bubble. What Are My Options? (photo)

I have a double bubble on the left breast. I have had implants for 4 years. After surgery at all of my followup visits with my dr I had asked him about this and he said it could take up to a yr for breasts to position where they need to be and to just give it time and also when I flex my pecks they move and are very noticable even with clothing on. My dr moved to another state 3 yrs ago so I am unable to go back to him. What will need to be done to fix them and is the cost more?

Importance of proper pocket creation for breast augmentation can not be understated

+1

A VERY IMPORTANT PART OF BREAST AUGMENTATION SURGERY IS CAREFUL DISSECTION OF IMPLANT POCKET.  POCKET SIZE AND DETERMINES OUTLINE AND SHAPE OF NEW BREAST.  

A POCKET TOO SMALL WILL CONSTRICT, DISTORT AND HARDEN THE BREAST.

A POCKET TOO LARGE WILL CAUSE A OVERFLOW OF IMPLANT.

YOU HAVE A OVERFLOW OF IMPLANT FROM THE POCKET THAT EXTENDS BELOW YOUR OWN NATURAL BREAST AND THUS YOU HAVE A DOUBLE BUBBLE.

THERE ARE DIFFERENT APPROACHES TO FIX.

MY WAY IS TO TAKE OUT IMPLANTS AND FORGET SUBMUSCULAR POCKET AND MAKE A NEW ONE IN FRONT OF MUSCLE AND DO IT RIGHT. 

Correction of Double Bubble Deformity?

+1

I'm sorry to hear/see the complication you have experienced.

However, you should have peace of mind that revisionary breast surgery will be able to improve your situation significantly. Exactly what operation is offered to you will depend on your physical examination, concerns, and goals. For example, “reconstruction” of the inframammary fold area may be very helpful in improving the  “double bubble” appearance of the breast.

I would suggest an in-person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation.

You may find the attached link very helpful.

Implant Revision Due to Double Bubble. What Are My Options?

+1

Thanks for the questions and posted photo. Best to seek in person evaluation with a new PSs in your area. Yes there will be additional or new fees, NEW OPERATION  from another doctor! I might fat graft area, release muscle, change location of implant or all of above. 

Options for Correcting Double Bubble

+1

Your double bubble is present because your implant was placed significantly below your old existing inframammary fold (the crease where your breast hits your chest wall).  There are several options for correcting this double bubble.  (1)  External incision at the old crease followed by removal of the implant, obliteration of the double bubble space, and replacement of a new implant.  (2)  An incision around the areolar, removal of the implant, elevation of the capsular scar with or without commercially available Dermis support, and replacement with a new implant. 

Both of the above techniques require opening of the implant pocket superiorly to allow the new implant to move freely.  Also, I would place Reston Foam (a 3M product) externally to support my new repair, be it internal or external, and leave it on for 7 days.

As you can see, correction of the double bubble is a complex surgical problem requiring a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon experienced in techniques for correction of double bubble. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Double bubble issue

+1

A double bubble can be fixed by resuspending the fold, sometimes using a smaller implant, and providing support along the fold after repair.

DOUBLE BUBBLE

+1

You have a few options, going in there releasing the capsule, removing the implant completely. You need to get a consult to they go over your options.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Double Bubble Repair

+1

From your photo, it is clear that you have a double bubble on the left side and this will not get better with time. You will need a revision surgery and this often involves restoring the position of the breast crease and sometimes moving the implant above the muscle to address the animation issue. Yes, there will be a cost and often this can be more expensive as it is much mor complicated than the original surgery. 

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through and in-person consultation.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD