Will my Breasts Look Further Apart After Breast Augmentation? (photo)

I am currently a size 34A and am scheduled to have breast augmentation surgery in a few weeks. I am getting 400cc Mentor moderate plus profile silicone implants. I am worried about the distance between my breasts. Will the larger breast implants cause them to look further apart then they already are? I am worried that it will end up looking weird. Thank you for any responses.

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
I think because you are using large breast implants for your size your breasts will actually appear closer as opposed to farther apart

Wide Cleavage

+1

Your photos demonstrate that you have widely spaced breasts.  This is determined by your anatomy, which involves the width of your sternum and where your muscles insert along the side.  Breast augmentation should not cause you to have wider cleavage, however the current width will be accentuated by breast augmentation.   

Joseph C. Berardi, MD

Will my Breasts Look Further Apart After Breast Augmentation?

+1

Simple answer is YES! But it is your anatomy of your breasts and chesty wall that causes the issues. 

Proper breast implant sizing

+1

Proper implant sizing and positioning will significantly improve your wide appearing breasts. Just like fitting someone for a dress or shoes, it is critical to find the right "FIT". An experienced board certified plastic surgeon will help you find the right balance for your height and breast proportions. Mentor is a great company with awesome implants. If you picked a surgeon you trust, stop worrying and anticipate a great new look. Most patients do amazingly well which is why augmentation is the #1 procedure for women in the US today. Good luck.

Allen D. Rosen, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Implant positioning with wide intermammary distance

+1

How far apart your implants appear after surgery depends on your anatomy, the size of the implant being used, and your surgeon's technique in dissecting the implant pocket. In order to appear normal, your implant needs to be centered behind your nipple. If it is placed to far medially to try to provide more natural cleavage, you might run the risk of developing a condition in which the implants appear too close together and the nipples appear positioned on the outside edge of the breasts. If your nipples are slightly wideset before surgery, you might be best served by using a slightly lower profile implant which has a slightly wider base. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Cleavage and implants

+1

Your anatomy will dictate the amount of cleavage that you can obtain for the most part. you can achieve some more by using wider implants, and staying above the muscle, but there are trade-offs.

Breast implants and Cleavage

+1

Although it is rather difficult to assess simply based on photographs, the distance between the inner edge of both breasts will be reduced after augmentation. This in turn will help create the illusion of a more enhanced cleavage. If this is something that is important to you, it is important to discuss this with your surgeon as there are several sophisticated surgical techniques that can be used during your breast augmentation to address this area.

Maisam Fazel, MBBChir, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

CLEAVAGE

+1

Thanks for the photos.  Better quality photos with a true frontal and lateral views would be more helpful.  Your cleavage will be improved with the implants you have selected.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Implants will enhance the shape you have already

+1

The medial boundary of the breast is what gives cleavage.  The cleavage is created by filling up the breast with an implant.  Many people confuse cleavage with how close the breasts are together.  Cleavage is generally created by the bra which pushes the breasts together and is enhanced with breast augmentation.  People are also concerned with how close the breast are together.  It sounds like you are concerned about the space between you breasts.  This should not be changed by a breast augmentation because if the implant is placed farther to the middle of your chest than the breast allows it can create a problem called synmastia commonly known as "unibreast" or it can cause tenting of the chest wall.  This is a common problem in people who have implants that are too large for their chest to stretch into.  If you get an appropriately sized implant for your chest you should have no problem, and your breast will look fuller and have good cleavage.  You should discuss this with your plastic surgeon who can explain all this better in person.

Dev Wali, MD

Breast augmentation and cleavage

+1

Your concerns are valid but your posted photos are inadequate because the arm position distorts the breast nipple position so it is impossible to make any specific statements other than you have no cleavage. Placing implants cannot create cleavage if there is none before surgery. Also if the nipples do not point straight forward before surgery they will certainly not do so after breast augmentation alone. You sound like you have already seen and chosen your surgeon. You need to discuss this with him or her instead of relying on surgeons who have never seen you and only have inadequate photos to rely on in making an assessment.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD