DOT Laser Combined with Mini Facelift?

My PS has recommended I combine the DOT laser with a miniface lift and blepharoplasty. I am trying to decide how to time both procedures. Is is okay to have the laser on the same day or next day after the facelift? I would like to have only one recovery, but the results are most important to me. How do you recommend that I time the two?

Lasers at time of Face Lift

+1
Yes, most patients want one recovery.
Depending on the DOT laser settings and number of passes and how invasive the facelift is will determine the safety of this procedure. Mini Face lifts and those that have limited undermining such as the MAC or LiteLift procedures are safer procedures for doing both of these procedures. Also it should be safe to do laser on those areas that are not undermined - such as the lips and chin area. We often do chemical peels and lasers at the same time as our limited incision face lifts and have not seen an increase in complications.
My advice is to make sure you go to a board certified plastic surgeon you feel comfortable with and follow their recommendations.

Conservative laser resurfacing and face lift

+1

Thank you for the question.  Combining laser resurfacing and face lift is all about blood supply.  Your plastic surgeon will know whats best given his/her technique for performing both.  Given that, I would imgaine having them performed on the same day would be better in terms of recovery.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

MiniFacelift, Eyelid Surgery, and Laser Resurfacing at One Time

+1

A facelift and laser resurfacing should be spaced out 3 months due to skin viability concerns.  However, in a minifacelift that has little to no dissection, laser resurfacing may be fine and pose no additional risk.

Combined procedures?

+1

Facelift and blepharoplsty can tighen the skin and improve your facial contours. Laser resurfacing will improve your skin texture. This combination is an excellent way to rejuvinate your face. I  perform resurfacing of skin around the mouth and eyes at the same time as a facelift but often recommend full face resurfacing be perfomed a few months after a facelift to decrease the risk of complications.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Priorities- Facelift vs Laser

+1

Gumby62, you have asked a legitimate question, and at the same time have provided the correct answer. Yes, facelift and laser can be done simultaneously but it does prolong the downtime. I would not recommend laser the next day under any circumstances. Your top priority, as it should be, is the quality of your result. Separate the two procedures, doing the facelift first, by 4-6 wks. The downtime for a Dot laser is no more than 3-5 days or a long weekend so there are really no significant downtime issues anyway.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Laser treatments and facelift surgery

+1

We try to space out any laser type resurfacing at least a month before or after a facelift procedure.  It is important not to burn the outside of the skin and undermine that same skin to avoid vascular compromise.

Optimal timing of Facelift and Laser Resurfacing

+1

Plastic surgery procedures are often combined with laser treatments for optimal results.  While surgery does an excellent job of removing the redundant skin, it has less of an impact on the texture of the skin.  Lasers can significantly improve the skin texture and remove fine lines, but they do not have a considerable impact on skin redundancy.  These two procedures are quite complimentary to each other.
Regarding timing, there are multiple factors to consider.  The type of facelift and blepharoplasty performed along with your overall health status can impact the decision on the timing of the two procedures.  In most cases superficial and medium depth laser treatments can be safely performed with other facial plastic surgery procedures.  If you have deeper lines and need a stronger laser treatment, then separating the laser and surgery is always the safest approach.  Surgical procedures on the face can temporarily impair blood flow to the skin that is necessary for adequate healing of the face from laser resurfacing.

Jill Hessler, MD
Palo Alto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combining Facial Surgeries

+1

You may be a great candidate for multiple facial procedures. I typically recommend separating surgery from Laser procedures. Surgery compromises the blood supply underneath the skin and the Laser can compromise the blood supply to the surface of the skin. Doing both at the same time can put your skin at risk for complications. By separating the procedures by two to four weeks you can avoid this risk. And we want to ensure you look AND feel your best.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon