How many doses are there (approximately) in a batch of Botox?

Botox dosage

+1
The amount of Botox used for a treatment depends on the patient, the strength of the muscle activity and the number of sites being treated, so it is impossible to say how many doses are in a vial of Botox.  It would be more appropriate for you to be assessed and then ask how many units you require.

Toronto Dermatologist

Botox

+1
In Canada, we use Botox in 100 or 200 unit vials, and it is reconstituted with saline.  The dosage depends on a particular treatment and patient

Anatoli Freiman, MD
Toronto Dermatologist

Packaging of Botox (onabotulinimtoxinA)

+1
Botox is available in 50 unit and 100 unit vials.  The physician reconstitutes the Botox with injectable saline prior to use.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Amount of doses in a batch of botox

+1
Depending on whether your physician is using a 50 or a 100 unit vial, the amount of treatment areas may vary.  To give you a rough estimate, I can comment on the amounts of botox used in my practice for the upper face, the lower face, and the neck area.  The upper face ( the area between the brows, the forehead, and the crow's feet) can take anywhere from 30 to 45 units of botox, depending on the strengths of the muscles and the gender of the patient (males typically requiring more given the larger muscle mass).  The lower face (the muscles pulling down the corners of the lips, those affecting the verticle lines around the mouth, and the muscle that sometime causes the cobblestone appearance of the chin) can take anywhere from 10 to 25 units of botox.  The neck area can take anywhere from 10 to 50 units.  If we talk about the use of botox for hyperhidrosis (excess sweating) of the armpits, hands, or feet, a hundred units may be necessary, taking up the entire vial.

Tatiana Khrom, MD

How many Botox Doses

+1
In the USA Allergan makes 50 and 100 unit vials of Botox Cosmeitc.
The average cosmetic dose for the upper face is 20 units, so you get 5 treatments from the 100 unit vial.
Obviously, different doctors use different doses.

Joe Niamtu, III
Cosmetic Facial Surgery
Richmond, Virginia

Joseph Niamtu, III, DMD
Richmond Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

How many treatments are there in a vial of Botox?

+1
A vial of Botox contains either 50 or 100 units of Botox. A single "treatment" typically ranges from 5-75 units depending upon muscle bulk and how many areas of the face are being treated. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Doses per batch of Botox

+1
There is no simple answer to this question: Botox comes in 50 and 100 unit vials as a powder. It is diluted with saline (sterile salt water that mixes well with human tissue). The amount used to dilute it varies depending on the doctor. The number of units (the dose) used depends on the area being treated and the size and muscularity of the patient. The usual dose for frown lines in a woman is 20 units, but some may need more or less and men generally need more. The doses for forehead lines, bunny lines, crow's feet and hyperhidrosis (excess underarm sweating), among others, are all different. And the doses for Botox relatives, such as Xeomin and Dysport are different, too.

Nicole Kafka, MD
New York General Surgeon

How many doses in a batch of Botox depends on how many units per treatment.

+1
To answer your question accurately, it depends on what you are defining as a batch. A standard bottle of Botox purchased from Allergan contains 100 units. Practices may reconstitute their botox differently. In my practice, we reconstitute in a 1:1 ratio, meaning we get 100 units from one bottle. The number of units per patient varies widely, but on average a patient may receive 25-45 units per treatment. This means each bottle can provide botox for 2-4 patients. I hope this answers your question.

Meg Cherry, MD
Birmingham Dermatologic Surgeon