Dorsal Hump Shaving Too Technically Demanding?

I have a dorsal nasal hump (picture included). I probably have what you'd call a long nose, but this doesn't really bother me, and I'm not too concerned about the tip either.

However, if I were just to have the hump shaved down and the 'roof' closed over (i.e. just get rid of the hump without fussing over the length or tip), do you think it's a straight-forward nose to operate on or would it be especially technically demanding?

Many thanks!

Dorsal hump reduction is a common request

+2

Dorsal hump reduction is a common request. Although a dorsal hump reduction may be performed quite often and felt to be 'easy', there are many patients who have undergone rhinoplasty who have less than desireable results. Any one portion or a rhinoplasty can be quite challenging. Changing one portion of one's nose may create or bring out other irregularities or dysharmony. It is very common to perform osteotomies following hump reduction of the bone and cartilage as well as tip modification to help achieve a balanced, harmonious aesthetic result.

Dorsal hump shaving a common concern

+2

I agreed with what has been said, in that Rhinoplasty is a surgery of millimeters, and small changes in one area can affect the function and anatomy of another area. That being said, for people with a subtle dorsal hump, it is possible to rasp that through an incision inside the nose. I have done this under local anesthesia before, but would certainly encourage you to speak with a qualified Plastic Surgeon about your concerns. Good Luck.

Leonard Lu, MD

Rhinoplasties are all delicate procedures

+2

What I can see in your photo is a pretty straightforward issue that can be address by a good plastic surgeon, but it's important for you to know that all rhinoplasties are delicate procedures that require a fair amount of skill and judgement to be performed properly. Make sure you pick a surgeon you can trust and that he reviews with you in detail his plan as well as what you should expect as your final cosmetic result.

Good luck!

Dr. Salemy

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

No nose is "easy"

+2

Any maneuver you do in rhinoplasty can have subtle effects on the rest of the nose, not just on the part addressed.  Nevertheless, what you have looks like it should be straightforward for an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.  Just don't go to someone without lots of experience!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Dorsal Humps

+1

Changing one aspect of the nose, changes how it relates to the other parts of the nose.  Even a seemingly simple procedure such as a dorsal hump reduction will change the way the nose appears (i.e. length, shape, width).  In addition, other portions of the nose which were not glaring issues, may now stand out more prominently.

Not all dorsal humps are the same.  Some are bone only, while others are cartilage and bone.  It is important that the surgeon perform imaging to demonstrate the effects of dorsal hump removal and its impact on the rest of the nose.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal Hump Reduction is Straight Forward

+1

The goal of any rhinoplasty is to produce a nose that looks natural and functions well. One of the most common reasons that patients seek rhinoplasty consultations is to learn about dorsal hump reduction.

A dorsal hump is comprised of bone and cartilage. To remove the hump, the rhinoplasty surgeon files down the bone and trims the cartilage to the appropriate height to give the profile the desired contour.

It is possible to correct one isolated problem -- such a a dorsal hump -- without having to change or disrupt other parts of the nose. Sometimes, small adjustment need to be made to other parts of the nose to keep the nose proportional and in balance with the other facial features.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

The operation of rhinoplasty is technically-demanding

+1

While a dorsal hump shave is not that technically-demanding, the operation of rhinoplasty certainly is. It is important to make sure that just the dorsal shaving is all that needs to be done and that it balances with the remainder of the nose. A very small dorsal shave can be performed without narrowing the sidewalls; however, a moderate dorsal shave will then require osteotomies and narrowing of the nasal bones. After that is performed, the surgeon needs to make sure that the tip is not too bulbous relative to the newer, narrower, refined nose.

Most likely requires more than hump shaving

+1

All rhinoplasties require a bit of finesse. Your problem is very common and can be treated, but it isn't just shaving the bone; it also needs lowering of the cartilage attached to the bone and then most likely infracturing the bones to close the "open roof." WIthout seeing multiple views and examining you in person, it is difficult to give you a precise answer.

More view of your nose would be helpful

+1

I agree. No nose is "easy" and it is not correct that say "oh I just want the hump taken off" and think this is straightforward. The structures of the nose are all intimately related. Changing one part of the nose affects other parts. Based on the picture that you show, it looks like you could obtain a nice result. However, we would need to see more views and examine you to tell for sure. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Nasal analysis

+1

A small hump removal could be a simple procedure. However, all Rhinoplasty cases need to be handled carefully, and the nose examined with the patient that this is what he really wants.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS