Dorsal Nasal Hump Shaving with Minimum Fuss?

I have a dorsal nasal hump (picture included). I probably have what you'd call a long nose, but this doesn't really bother me, and I'm not too concerned about the tip either. I have a couple of questions:

If I were just to have the hump shaved down and the 'roof' closed over (i.e. just get rid of the hump without fussing over the length or tip), would this be more straight-forward and less likely to lead to complications or an unnatural look? Or would the surgeon most likely recommend shortening of the nose as well? I still want to look like me, only without a wavy profile

Also, would this be an open or a closed procedure? (I'm concerned about swelling, recovery time etc)

Many thanks!

Closed osteotomy for hump reduction

+2

Depending on the surgeon, you could quite undergo a closed hump reduction with lateral osteotomies. Of course, this would not effect the tip of your nose if that is your wish.

Dorsal Nasal Hump

+1

Your nose can be altered, retaining a natural look and making it look un-operated. It can be achieved by just removing the hump or also correcting the length and general character including the tip.

All this can be achieved, preferably without using external approach (open rhinoplasty) method..

Kris Conrad, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Isolated Dorsal Hump Shave

+1

Yes, in specific circumstances, a hump only removal can create a pleasing postoperative rhinoplasty result.  Photoimaging to gain perspective in how the nose will relate to its constituent parts is necessary so you can gain perspective on the impact of the remainder of the nose.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Hump

+1

After consultation, you and your surgeon can mutually establish goals for your operation. However I would recommend doing more than just the hump removal. Remember all parts of the nose are related; removing the hump will impact the appearance of other parts of your nose. Your tip make actually look bigger and the nose appear longer.

There would be no significant increase in risk of complications. A good surgeon will not create an unnatural look.

Exercise caution with a simple dorsal hump removal

+1

While you can limit the procedure to a simple dorsal hump removal I would recommend a full rhinoplasty with slight narrowing and elevation of the tip as well as removal of the bony-cartilaginous nasal hump and narrowing of the bony pyramid. Failure to put all of these elements together may lead to an unnatural appearance.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon