Dorsal Hump Swelling or Callus After Rhinoplasty?

Three months ago, I had a surgery to correct my nose. It is now smaller and narrower in overall size. However, the dorsal hump area is still pronounced. It is no longer as big as before but the dfifference is minimal. My doctor assured me that he had smoothed my dorsal hump down. Is it possible that the swelling hasn't subsided yet? The tip of my nose is still very bulbous. Could I just be a slow healer? Or could it be I have developed a callus? Thank you.

It is probably swelling after Rhinoplasty

+8

The two areas where swelling takes the longest to settle after rhinoplasty are exactly the two areas you mentioned: your tip and the area over the former hump. Most often, at 3 months, what you are feeling is swelling and will improve a fair bit still.

Generally, residual swelling will feel a little spongy to slightly firm. If you feel the apparent hump and it is very hard (like bone), there is a chance a callus has formed. Thankfully, this is pretty uncommon after rhinoplasty. Even when there is a callus, it will usually get a little smaller on its own. Rarely, it is necessary to go back and shave the bump down a little.

Talk to your doctor to get a better picture of what's going on. You may want to wait a while yet to see how things settle before you decide if anything further needs to be done.

Nose is still swollen 3 months after rhinoplasty

+4

A callous formation can occur across the top of the bridge of the nose where the cartilage meets with the bone. It is impossible to tell at three months if this is going to get any better. Full healing on this will take approximately one year. If it is a callus, a small injection of cortisone to the nasal bridge callus can be done to see if it will reduce it in size. The tip of the nose will reduce in size over time, but it takes at least a year for the bulbousness to subside. Thick olive oily skin tends to heal slower.

Rhinoplasty Recovery: Final Results Can Take Time

+3

Following a hump removal during rhinoplasty, it is very common for there to be excessive swelling overlying the area where the boney hump was removed.

If the bone was adequately reduced, that bump should disappear as the swelling subsides over the first 3-4 months. If the hump persists beyond then, it may indicate that the hump was not entirely reduced during the surgery. Reduction of the residual hump can easily be performed with further rasping (filing down) of the hump through intranasal incisions. There is usually minimal downtime and minimal bruising and swelling.

Most surgeons recommend waiting a full year after a rhinoplasty before making any determinations as to whether a revision is needed. In some cases it can take the full 12 months for all of the swelling to subside.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal hump swelling or callus after rhinoplasty

+1
It usually takes up to a year for your nose to completely heal and look it's best following rhinoplasty.  If you had osteotomies (fracturing of the nasal bones to make it more narrow) along with the dorsal hump reduction, this will definitely cause more bleeding, bruising and swelling and will require more time for all the swelling and scar tissue to subside.  The tip of the nose tends to remain swollen longer than the rest of your nose and can take many months before enough of the swelling to go down before you can see all of the refinement that was accomplished. If your nose had more bleeding during and after surgery, this can cause more swelling and scar formation (callus) that will take longer to heal and could potentially compromise your results.  At this point I think it would be too early to tell what your final outcome would be but as long as it is showing consistent (even modest) improvement each month then it's a good sign.  I would just follow up with your PS so he/ she can continue to track your progress to let you know how it's healing.  Best wishes. 

Bao L. Phan, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Healing after Rhinoplasty

+1

Your nose will change significantly over the next 6-8 months. You are not a slow healer.I If your hump was removed from the bridge(the bony dorsum), that area will heal much quicker than the "bulbous" tip. Whenever possible, I advise waiting a year to critique your result. After doing rhinoplasty for over thirty years, I have seen many significant and subtle changes during that year.