Dorsal Hump Still Slightly There After Rhinoplasty?

I just had Rhinoplasty, Septoplasty, and Turbinoplasty about 8 days ago.This was to help with my breathing, but mainly for my interest in removing the hump i had on the bridge of my nose. I had open nose surgery for a more accurate procedure. I am just worried though the day he removed my cast and splints my nose was perfectly straight from what i can see but the next day when he removed the thin layer of tape on my nose i had a slight hump. I am worried but don't know if this is just swelling?

Residual hump after rhinoplasty.

+2
I understand you are worried that what you see is not going to get better and want an answer. The best person who can answer your question is the surgeon who did the work. The rest of us have very little information except one view of your nose. I think that you have some swelling, but it is also possible that there is some residual bony hump that could be taken care of if it is still present after a few months. The hump seems to be better anyway, so give it some more time and talk to your surgeon. Good luck.

Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Hump is still there after removing dressing

+2

Swelling takes up a lot of space including space where cartilage or bone was removed after surgery.  If a hump is still there after removing the dressing it is too soon after surgery to fairly evaluate what is just swelling and what is actually left there.  Have patience and give it a couple months before judging.   Then discuss it with your surgeon.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal hump after Rhino

+1

Swelling over the nasal dorsum is very common during the first few weeks. Check with you

surgeon, but gentle massage is sometimes reccomended.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Way to soon to say at eight days. Give yourself some time. If it makes you feel better try gently compressing the dorsum with your finger and see how smooth it feels.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Residual hump eight days after rhinoplasty

+1

It is very common to have some residual hump at this stage after rhinoplasty.  This should gradually go down over the next three months but can take as long as a year to fully resolve.  Make sure that you hold off on any revision for at least that long.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD

Hump may still be there

+1

Honestly, it's impossible for any of us here to tell if the hump that shows, in the post op photo, is swelling or bone because we can't feel it.  You probably want to ask your Rhinoplasty surgeon.

Dorsal Swelling vs Hump 8 Days after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is impossibe to determine if you have a residual hump without examining you.  I can guarantee that you have swelling 8 days after rhinoplasty. Your question will be answered over the next several months as healing progresses.

Rhinoplasty Swelling

+1

This is probably the most common question patients ask following rhinoplasty.  Believe it or not it takes a full year or more to see the final results after rhinoplasty because it actually take that long for all the swelling to reside.  It is a good sign that the hump was not there immediately following removal of the splint as this will likely be the case as swelling goes down over the ensuing weeks and months.  Be patient and your results will likely be as desired...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Early residual hump is swelling

+1

The nasal skin takes time to shrink.  As a man, your skin is a little thicker than many women's', and so will take a little longer to flatten over the reduced skeleton.

Your surgeon has done a nice job; I predict that you will see progressive improvement and that your bump will be much better even in a month.

Good luck.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

+1

As you probably know by now, healing after rhinoplasty will take time. You should also know, worrying about the outcome will stress you further and it is best to allow the healing to complete, then decide what to be done next. Things improve with time most of the time.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon