If Hump is Still There After Dorsal Hump Removal, Does This Indicate Regrowth or Swelling?

If you have rhinoplasty to remove dorsal hump and after splint removal hump is still there, thus this mean that there is regrowth, scar tissue etc or can it be swelling? Hump is exactly same, but tender and feels hard. Most pictures I have found in web showed that after cast removal hump is gone or smaller and swelling sets in mostly after the splint is removed..

+1

It’s very difficult to definitively answer your question without seeing you, or at the very least seeing a photo. However, that being said, you’re right about the swelling after the splint is removed, and I would strongly urge you to speak with your surgeon about this. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Hump on nose

+1

A bump on the nose after the splint comes off may represent swelling or a residual hump.  Sometimes this needs to be treated surgically and sometimes it resolves( swelling).

Persistent hump after rhinoplasty

+1

If there is a hump after removing the cast, then it is either swelling or residual bony hump. In either case, I would discuss this with your rhinoplasty surgeon. Often aggressive taping and sometimes kenalog injections can help if the hump seems to persist or flattens with pressure. Also, scar tissue can develop over time so I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hump after rhinoplasty

+1

The splint or cast keeps the swelling at bay I the upper two thirds of the nose until it is removed

so if a hump is present rit when the splint is removed it is unlikely to be swelling it is more likely residual hump due to inadequate reduction

Now once the splint is removed  the nose will swell again over the first 12-24 hrs  so a little increaesed fullness where the hump was might be expected

Scar tissue is not an issue in this question because it is two early and scar tissue in that area is not likely to "grow" in volume 

if anything it starts to shrink some but at about 3 mo

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

+1

Hi,

If you had a rhinoplasty, then your nasal hump should be gone when the cast comes off. You could have a little swelling on the bridge but no hump. Callous wont form for 6 to 8 weeks  or more.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Nasal Hump Present When Cast Removed after Rhinoplasty

+1

If there is fullness present when the cast is removed it is residual residual hump or swelling. Scar tissue would not form that quickly. Regardless of how it feels time will tell if it is just swelling. All you can do is be patient; do not massage or repeatedly feel the area. Discuss this with your surgeon and follow his instructions.