Dorsal Hump Removal- Should I Worry It Will Come Back?

I had a rihnoplasty to reduce my dorsal hump. The doctor used a rasp to remove my dorsal hump, and leaving my nose with an open roof.I wonder can the dorsal hump agrow again? I have seen some patients who had a dorsal hump reduction like me, and the dorsal hump grow back again in about two years' time.

Can nasal hump grow back after rhinoplasty

+1

Two things: Nasal humps do not grow back. They may not have been adequately removed though and scar tissue could grow. Second, rasping down a hump usually will not leave you with a open roof deformity. It could flatten the dorsum if not done correctly. Evaluate your nose at least one year after surgery.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I have done Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and that's an urban myth.  Dorsal humps, or bumps, do not grow back but rather are masked with post Rhinoplasty swelling and were never completely removed.  Once the swelling decreases, the dorsal hump reappears.  Wearing glasses that place pressure across the upper nasal bridge can accentuate this return.

If you have an open roof deformity, this should be closed with lateral osteotomies.  If you still have a dorsal hump, medial osteotomies would be done forst for further reduction.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Dorsal hump

+1
Be very careful telling the truth after rhinoplasty. Legend has it that falsehoods can lead to nasal enlargement. (Just kidding...your nose should stay stable the rest of your life).
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal Humps Do Not Grow Back After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dorsal humps do not grow back after rhinoplasty.  You may experience swelling in the post-operative period that can take up to six months to go down, but this would still not be as large as your dorsal hump. 

After a six month period of time if you have a dorsal hump it usually is due to inadequate dorsal hump removal and scar tissue.

I do not know why your surgeon would leave you with an open roof deformity.  Are you sure he/she did not close it when your nasal bones were broken at the end of the rhinoplasy procedure?

Washington Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal hump

+1

The hump will not grow back.  Edema sometimes can mask a inadequately removed hump.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Dorsal Humps Do Not Regrow After Rhinoplasty

+1

There is really no such thing as a dorsal hump that grows back after its reduction/removal during rhinoplasty. Once the bone and cartilage have been removed, these mature tissues do not have the capability to regenerate. The perception of a dorsal hump 'growing back' most likely reflects a hump that was never adequately reduced in the first place. When all of the tissues settle over time, and with the creation of some scar tissue, the dorsal hump can be seen to 'reappear'. Whatever amount of residual dorsal hump that is seen after a rhinoplasty is merely a reflection of what was originally there. Regrowth should not be confused with inadequate removal.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyrhinoplasty.com/

Dorsal hump doesn't usually grow back

+1

A dorsal hump typically doesn't "grow back" following a rhinoplasty unless there are other issues including subsequent trauma. With the resolution of swelling, some people will see or feel irregularities that hadn't been seen when the skin was thicker from the inflammation.

Dorsal hump

+1

I don't tnhink dorsal humps grow back. Scar tissue could develope but, the more likely answer is tha the nasal tip can drop if not supported. This give the appearance   of a new hump. Why wasn't your open roof closed?

Web reference: http://www.drbray.com

Nasal Hump Regrowth?

+1

Generally if the hump was removed correctly, the likelihood of it coming back is slim.  Having said that, it would also depend if the hump was from the cartilage or bone.  Did you want an open roof?  After a dorsal hump is removed, the open roof is closed to narrow the width of your nose and prevent you from feeling the open roof when you touch your nose.

Web reference: http://www.kimberlyleemd.com/procedures2/revisionrhinoplasty

Dorsal hump reduction in rhinoplasty

+1

The dorsal hump does not grow back after it is removed anymore than a finger grows back after it is amputated. I don't know what you perceived as growing back other than scar tissue formation but even that will not reconstitute the entire hump.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.