Small Dorsal Hump Removal for Wide Asian Nose

I'm interested in removing my dorsal hump. I am Asian, so my nose is wider than the average Caucasian nose. I don't want any other parts of my nose changed; just the bump (height only), not the width nor the tip. I am hoping the procedure would be minimally invasive (no breaking of bone?) and possibly on the cheaper end of the rhinoplasty spectrum. The bump can even be just minimized, not completely removed--I don't want the change to be obvious. Any advice?

Slight hump on Asian nose

+1

Pictures are needed but in many cases, you can shave just a little of the bone and build up the area between your eyes using your own tissues. This balanced approach to straightening your bridge can avoid the need for moving in the bones or other major work. It would be considered a more minor procedure on the spectrum of nasal surgery.

Dorsal Hump Removal

+1

I would really need to see photos in order to give you the best advice. Hump reduction may lead to an open roof deformity, and in this case you would need an osteotomy. Please feel free to send any photos to my office and I would be happy to evaluate them for you. Thank you, and best of luck to you.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Lump removal for wide Asian nose

+1

Answer: More often than not, characteristic Asian noses are wide with either an absent lump or a very slight elevation of the bony height (dorsum).

This dorsal hump can be removed by rasping or shaving the bone. However, if this procedure is performed without osteotomies, the bony dorsum region will probably appear somewhat deformed and even give a wider appearance of the nose.

There will be a squared-off look with probable sharp bony edges and a palpable open space in the middle (called open roof deformity). I would strongly caution against having a bump removed without osteotomies to break the bones and bring them together in your case.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal hump removal in Asian rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty is generally not performed in an a la carte manner. In other words, your rhinoplasty surgeon is likely going to have a particular fee to perform rhinoplasty. You may save on operating room time but, that will be a relatively small amount. Having said that, it would be difficult to comment extensively on your nose without seeing you but, hump reduction in an already widened nose may make your nose appear even wider. There is also a limit to how much you can lower a dorsal hump in rhinoplasty without having to break the nose to avoid what is called an "open roof" deformity.

Find a surgeon you are comfortable with, express your desires regarding your nose, and the two of you should be able to come up with a plan that you will likely approve of.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian rhinoplasty

+1

Once a bump is removed from the dorsumof the nose, the nose can appear wider. There is a limit that shaving the bone can accomplish. After that, a minor osteotomy is necessary.

An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will guide you through whether an osteotomy is advisable or not. You don't want to have to go back for a redo just because you were hung up on having it done a certain way!

The nasal bone length differs greatly from patient to patient, also a factor in deciding the hump vs. width decision making.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Dorsal hump on Asian nose

+1

Bee,

Theoretically anything is possible. If it is only a little shaving of the dorsum, that can be done relatively easily and should be on the less expensive side as you suggested.

Usually that does not need any repositioning of the bones either. The only thing I cannot tell you is if it would be the appropriate procedure in your particular case.

For that you really need to have a face to face consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. They can look at your nose and decide if that would be a doable procedeure for you.

Best of luck.

Robert B. Pollack, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Minimal change in Asian rhinoplasty

+1

Removal of a dorsal hump can be minimally invasive and minimally traumatic and performed under sedation without going to sleep.  It would also be quite affordable.  

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Removal of small hump in Asian rhinoplasty

+1

Removal of just a small hump without changing anything else in a nose is in general a smaller surgery that can be done via an endonasal ("closed") approach.  Being that it is a smaller surgery, then yes, it would be a cheaper price.  A thorough in-person examination is necessary.  Special considerations must be made for the nasal bony and cartilaginous structures that contribute to your nasal hump and whether the hump removal might result in an unwanted open roof deformity.  Make sure always to consult with an experienced surgeon who not only can show you many before and after photos of patients like you, but also someone who is willing and skilled enough to perform a revision in the (small) possiblity you might have unplanned sequelae from the surgery.  Despite the small change you are requesting, rhinoplasty is a big decision, and being that your nose is in the middle face, it needs special attention from a passionate rhinoplasty specialist.  I would be happy to provide you a comprehensive evaluation!

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of dorsal hump on wide Asian nose

+1

A dorsal hump removal on an Asian nose can be performed through closed rhinoplasty technique. The more hump that is removed, the wider the bridge will appear. If a moderate hump is being removed, then the nasal sidewalls will need to be narrowed to make the nose balance. Otherwise, an open roof deformity and a flat top nose will result, which will be unsightly. A small hint of a bump can be left behind to give a natural appearance, and the bones will most likely not have to be broken.

Small Nasal Hump Removal

+1

Minimal nasal hump removal without ostetomies is possible, but limited improvement will be achieved. Unable to see your nose, I recommend you see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. You also mentioned that you preferred a "cheaper" solution. Within reason, don't select a procedure based on cost; remember, the results will last a lifetime.