Dorsal Hump Recovery?

I'm thinking of getting my dorsal hump removed sometime in May after graduation. My main concern after the surgery besides the actual results is my 2 month long summer vacation in Florida that starts in the end of June or early July. What can I expect my nose to look like by then? I don't want to be walking around with a swollen or weird looking nose this summer.

Dorsal Hump Recovery After Rhinoplasty

+1

The usual recovery after rhinoplasty is about 7-10 days if there is no bruising and swelling which usually not a problem. It usually takes about 7-10 days before you can be seen in public after having the splint removed.

Dorsal hump recovery

+1

Dorsal hump removal is one of the procedures that can be performed during a rhinoplasty.  Once the hump is removed, osteotomies are usually performed to narrow the sidewalls.  A cast/splint is then placed over the bridge and left intact for approximately 1 week after the surgery.  Expect 2 weeks of visible swelling and bruising after the rhinoplasty surgery.  After 2 weeks it is certainly acceptable to go out and get back to work, school, vacation, or exercise and have no restrictions.

Dorsal Hump Reduction and Recovery after Rhinoplasty

+1

Dorsal hump reduction can be done through a closed approach in about 15 minutes.  At 2 to 3 weeks, no one will be able to tell you had surgery.  Your surgeon and you both will notice the swelling, but no one else will.

Nose looks reasonably normal one week after rhinoplasty.

+1

Hi.

The recovery is pretty quick.  It can take months to see the final result, but after one or two weeks, your nose should not look deformed or "surgical".

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Rhinoplasty recovery

+1

In general, the final result of a rhinoplasty is not evident for 18-24 months following surgery. 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months, and the remainder goes down over time. The degree of swelling generally depends on the following factors:

1) Thickness of the patient's skin

2) Whether tip work is performed

3) Whether the procedure is a revision 

I would recommend a consult with an experienced board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He/she will be able to determine your needs following an exam and provide you with precise advice. I hope this helps, and best of luck!  

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear User,

Without knowing what will be done to your nose in terms of whether it will be an open or closed rhinoplasty and whether you will have nasal bone in-fracturing, it is impossible to give you a precise answer.  If you posted a picture of yourself, I could at least guess what your surgeon was planning to do.

In general, swelling after a rhinoplasty can last 6-12 months.  Most of the obvious swelling is usually resolved by 6 weeks.  Bruising usually lasts 2-4 weeks.  Also remember that you will want to avoid sun exposure on your incisions.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)