Dorsal Hump Occurring Several Days After Rhinoplasty? (photo)

My nose was actually quite straight after my Rhinoplasty procedure, but it is exactly 5 days after surgery was done and I just noticed that I developed a sort of dorsal hump. It's almost dramatic. Is this normal? I have posted before and after pictures and I'm frightened that my nose will remain like this.The first is immediately after surgery and the second is the 5th day. Could I have done something to my nose to have this occur; perhaps sleeping wrong or bumping it a bit too hard? Please help

Swelling in the area of dorsal hump reduction after rhinoplasty

+2

It's not uncommon for swelling to occur along the dorsum (bridge of your nose) after a dorsal hump reduction, especially large ones.  You are extremely early in your post-operative course, so don't freak out - give the swelling time to come down.  Avoiding strenuous activity, sleeping on 2-3 pillows, and the nasal tape will help speed along the process.  Your surgeon may elect to administer some steroid or 5-fluorouracil injections to that area if the swelling is slow to resolve.  Follow up closely with your surgeon and you should have a great result.  

Dorsal Hump After Surgery?

+1

Way to early for you to worry about this. It will be at least 6 months before you really see what you nose will look like and it takes one year for all of the swelling to completely resolve. Just hang in there and see your surgeon for all of your post op visits and it will work out I am sure. In the rare event that you need something else done you will need to wait one year. Revision surgery in the nose prior to that is too risky because of all the scar tissue.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Rhinoplasty and results

+1

Yes, I do see what looks like a dorsal hump on your post-op photos.  It is difficult to see the side view form the first pos-op view to tell you if there is a change.