Dorsal Hump Graft Information?

i had my dorsal hump removed, and i would like it back, i read that a graft can be put there for augmentation either rib, ear etc. i would just like to know how much can a dorsal be augmented? and how is it actually attached to the bone and cartilage? does it fuse together after time? will it look like a natural dorsal hump? i read that rib grafts can warp but i don't understand in which way. Is resorption of the graft a major concern? how long after primary rhino can this be done? thanks

Dorsal graft augmentation

+1

It is possible to use rib to replace the dorsum. However, you may have sufficient septum left to graft to the dorsum or even an ear cartilage onlay graft may be an alternative depending upon how much augmentation you would like or require. These types of grafts typically do not warp over time. In addition, all grafts tend to fuse or integrate with your native tissue over time depending upon the technique used by your surgeon. Good luck in your area.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal Hump Graft Information?

+1

Cartilage from the ear or from within the nose can be used rather than a piece of rib to minimize warping concerns.  In general, one year after primary rhinoplasty the secondary rhinoplasty can be performed.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Augmenting Nasal Dorsum

+1

Septal or ear cartilage can be used to restore your dorsal hump so you don't have to worry about the warping that can occur with rib cartilage. I suggest waiting about a year after the primary.

Dorsal hump replacement

+1

It is possible to augment or replace a hump that has been removed. This can be done with your own tissue such as cartilage, rib, or bone. Or an attificial tissue much like the material used for cheek implants,.

There will be advantages and disadvantages to each and some will be a better option in some patients than others. Your questions are all good questions and can only really be answered be a surgeon after assessing your needs and the pros and cons of each option in your specific case.

Personally I would suggest cartilage from the septum or a rib graft would be the best options.

I hope that is of some help

Jeremy Hunt

Jeremy Hunt, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal Hump Graft Information?

+1

If there is a long enough section of septal cartilage available , within the nose, this is the best dorsal grafting material.  Failing that, i prefer using the straight silicone grafts over ear or rib cartilage which can dissolve unevenly over the years.  The dorsal graft is placed below the nasal bone periosteum superiorly which fixes that section.  The inferior section, of the graft, can be secured using 1 or more internal sutures.  I think it important to mention that the exact shape, of your old nose, would not be achieved just because you placed a dorsal grafting material along the nasal bridge.  Hope this helps.

Septal cartilage grafts for dorsal hump augmentation.

+1

Septal cartilage grafts for dorsal hump augmentation are the most common and they do not warp and much less painful than rib grafts. Having used these for 35 years there is little reason to use rib except in a very traumatic nose with little septum.