Dorsal Hump Callous 10 Years After Accident- How To Proceed?

I broke my nose when I was 12, which left me with a dorsal hump which has not dissipated. In considering correction, I was wondering if the physician would be able detect the callous. Also, I was wondering what risk I run of decreasing the structural integrity of my nose, since it has sustained previous injury. I have no desire to alter my nose beyond undoing the damage that has already been done and certainly would not proceed if surgery poses unusually high likelihood of complications.

What to do with bump on nose 10 years after nasal trauma?

+1

Nasal bones heal with callous and this won't impact breaking the bones and removing the dorsal hump during the Rhinoplasty.  You might want to have several Rhinoplasty consultations with qualifued Rhinoplasty Surgeons to discuss possible improvements.

Dorsal Nasal Hump Removal

+1

Your dorsal hump can be removed with minimal risk if you have the work done by a board certified surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty surgery. During your consultation discuss exactly what will be changed, alternative techniques, and possible complications. 

Callous

+1

You need to be seen. Usually removing a dorsal hump leaves an open roof that must be closed. This is done with lateral osteotomies that narrow the bridge and may require tip work to keep the nose in proportion.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Not a problem

+1

If it has been 10 years, there should not be a problem in correcting the bump at this time.  Depending on your deformity, this could potentially be addressed via incisions inside your nostrils to approach the problem.  I would not worry too much about the structural support of the nose--it should be just fine after surgery.  As far as exactly what your cosmetic concerns are, it is very important to discuss this with your surgeon in order to make sure he/she understands your desires.  Computer imaging of photographs can be very helpful in assisting this conversation.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Please send pictures

+1

The reduction of the dorsal bump can be done without too much manipulation. The most common problem with the reduction of the dorsal bump without rhinoplasty is the flatting of the nose. You will need to see a board certified plastic surgeon for in person consultation and evaluation.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon