Is It Enough with Doral Hump Removal Only? (photo)

I'm a guy thinking of doing a rhinoplasty (combined with otoplasty) and I've been to a surgeon for consultation. He said that he would do a closed rhinoplasty and only(!) remove the dorsal hump. Is that enough for my kind of nose? I've not seen many noses that has the same shape like mine, so it is hard for me to say. Do I need to refine the tip or something? I would like to have a straight nose that does not attract attention. I'm satisfied with my nose in front view, but not in profile view...

Dorsal hump removal

+1

The hump removal only will not suffice with this type of nose.  Once a large hump is removed, osteotomies will need to be performed to narrow the nasal bones and to prevent a flat-topped (open roof deformity).  Tip surgery may or may not be needed depending upon the width of the tip from the anterior view.  If a bulbous tip is present, cartilage will need to be removed.

Dorsal Hump Sufficient

+1

From the photograph you sent it appears as if a closed approach with reduction of your dorsal hump would give you a good result.  If you decide that you want a minor refinement of your nasal tip it can be done with the same approach, but I would need a frontal photograph to comment on that.

P.S.  I'm not sure if you ever considered it, but a chin implant placed through an intra-oral incision may give you better facial balance and further improve your appearance.

Eric Sadeh, MD

Dorsal Hump Removal

+1

The removal of a dorsal hump often results in an "open" dorsum of the nose (this is a split between the two nose bones).  Often, it is necessary to bring in the nose bones to avoid a wider appearance of the nose in the frontal view.  RB

Ramin Behmand, MD

Is It Enough with Doral Hump Removal Only?

+1

Aesthetically speaking, from the phot provided, reducing the dorsal hump would be suggested as well as a Columellar tuck to reduce the appearance of an over-rotated nasal tip.  No front photo is provided but the tip may also require some thinning during the Rhinoplasty.  Hope this helps.

+1

Hard to answer with only one posted photo. In my opinion you would benefit from a fuller rhinoplasty. 

Rhinoplasty for hump

+1

Deae Rhy,

• While it may seem that just removing the hump, it may not give you the balance that you are looking for
  • Without seeing more views, you can either bring the tip in a little or add a graft above the hump
  • Overall I think you would have a great result with the proper rhinoplasty
  • Let your surgeon guide you to make the right decisions, that is what we are here for

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Rhinoplasty with only hump removal.

+1

Rhinoplasty with only hp removal is not enough.  You have a tip that will fall resulting in a poly beak if this is not corrected.  Also you may need a radix graft but I need better photos. 

Limited Rhinoplasty with Hump Removal

+1

Removal of your hump will make a significant improvement  but it is difficult to evaluate the rest of your nose with the one picture you sent to us. For example, I cannot see the top of your nose (the radix) which is covered. In some individuals with noses similar to yours that area should be augmented to provide a strong masculine result. My website has instructions on the proper views to send for nasal evaluation. During consultation all alternatives and expected results will be discussed.