Is It Okay to Have a Donut Style Breast Lift & Augmentation at Same Time?

1 plastic surgeon recommended an anchor breast lift & no augmentation b/c you should never do them at same time since their goals are fighting one another. Whereas another surgeon said I could do the donut style breast lift procedure & augmentation at same time.

What Scars Do I Have to Prepare Myself for with a Breast Lift

+1

There is some controversy about doing a full lift at the time of augmentation, but few would object to doing a donut lift at the time of augmentation.

What kind of lift you may need is a question given the difference in advice you have received. Photos would help, as would still another opinion. All the best. 

Options for best breast contour

+1

Hi there-

You are really asking several questions...

You will not find universal agreement on the question of whether or not it is advisable to perform a breast lift at the same time as a breast augmentation. There are some surgeons who are never comfortable combining them, some who always do, and some who are comfortable in selected circumstances. This often has to do with the individual surgeon's training, level of experience in complex breast surgery, and preferences. In other words, there is no right answer, and this will depend on your choice of surgeon.

If your surgeon is able to show you examples of patients similar to yourself who have had the procedure he is recommending for you and these show pleasing outcomes, chances are the plan (in the hands of that surgeon) would be safe and effective for you.

It is critical to understand that not all procedures are going to produce similar outcomes, and that not all surgeons are the same in their level of expertise and skill in breast contouring. In other words, it is a mistake to try to identify a procedure you think you want and then search for a surgeon who will do it for the lowest fee.

Your best bet is to first find a surgeon you like and feel you can trust- look at lots of examples of their work (not just breasts). Once you have found the right professional, THEN worry about the details of how to get where you want to go.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast Lift and Augmentation

+1

Any type of breast lift can be done at the same time by any experienced breast surgeon. The only reason for not doing so is that the surgeon is unwilling to take the time during surgery to sit you up and reevaluate the nipple position after the augmentation. The difference between the donut mastopexy and other breast lifts is that the former has smaller scars, but, in my opinion, leaves the breast flatter with less projection. With an augmentation, especially in someone who is a candidate for a donut lift (if you really are), all you should need is a vertical lift, not an anchor lift. This eliminates one of the scars and gives good projection to the breasts. I would discuss this further with the second surgeon or seek a third opinion. Beware whom you talk to. Not all physicians doing breast surgery are equal. Ask for credentials.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with implants

+1

Breast lifts(vertical, donut, crescent) are commonly performed with implant augmentation and must be executed with care. There are opposing forces with these two procedures and planning is critical to allow for proper healing.  Good patient selection along with surgical skill and experience can lead to pleasing results and avoidance of multiple surgeries.

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and implants best done together.

+1

Hi.

1)  Donut type breast lift and augmentation are often done together safely.

2)  In my opinion, the anchor type breast lift is almost never a good idea.  Lollipop lift much better if you are not having implants.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

As long as the "donut" Benelli-style mastopexy is done correctly, it is okay to have it done at the same time as breast augmenta

+1

As long as the "donut" Benelli-style mastopexy is done correctly, it is okay to have it done at the same time as breast augmentation.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Periareolar Mastopexy - When to combine and when to separate in Two.

+1

The only time I do a periareolar mastopexy as two separate procedures is if the patient or I are not sure the patient needs a lift.  If I am really unsure then I discuss this with the patient from the standpoint of what does the want are they willing to have a scar all the way around the areolar, because once I give then a scar I can't remove it, only try to improve it. I show them the fees for the BA and for the BA with lift.  If I feel the BA will do and they need a lift later on, it can be done under local for just the difference between the fees.

If the patient has too much drooping and doesn't want a vertical scar even though I am sure they need it, I advise them that if the scar heals poorly or stretches out or the nipple areolar complex is too low, they are responsible for the cost to revise and add the vertical scar or in very rare cases the anchor scar.

Basically you have to evaluate each patient as an individual and then assess accordingly to give the patient what she needs.  Good luck, Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and augmentation question

+1

Yes they can be done at the same time. Every doctor has his or her own philosphy and comfort level. 90% of the time I will do them at the same time. The 10% of cases I separate are the cases that are very droopy and or asymetric. Good luck! Please see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Lifting: To Stage or Not to Stage?

+1

Although it is not possible to give you precise advice without direct examination of full communication of your goals, some general thoughts regarding breast augmentation/lifting may be helpful to you.

Whether the breast lift and augmentation should be done the same time  is not a question agreed-upon by all plastic surgeons. There are good plastic surgeons who will insist on doing the procedures separately and there are good plastic surgeons who can produce excellent outcomes in a single stage.
The combination breast augmentation / mastopexy surgery differs from breast augmentation surgery alone in that it carries increased risk compared to either breast augmentation or mastopexy surgery performed separately. Furthermore, the potential need for revisionary surgery is increased with breast augmentation / mastopexy surgery done at the same time.

In my opinion, the decision  to do the operation in a single or two  staged fashion becomes a judgment call made by a surgeon after direct examination of the patient.  For me, if I see a patient who needs a great degree of lifting, who has lost a lot of skin elasticity, or  whose goal is a very large augmentation then I think it is best to do the procedures in 2 stages (in order to avoid serious complications).

However, doing the procedure in one stage does increase the risks of complications in general and the potential need for further surgery. This increased risk must be weighed against the practical benefits of a single stage procedure (which most patients would prefer).

Conversely, if I see a patient who requires minimal to moderate lifting along with a small to moderate size augmentation (and has good skin quality), then doing the procedure one stage is generally safe. Nevertheless, the potential risks  are greater with a 1 stage  procedure and the patient does have a higher  likelihood of needing revisionary surgery.

Ultimately, I think you will be best off selecting the plastic surgeon who you feel will most likely be able to achieve the results you are looking for and follow his/her recommendations.