Don't Want the Baseball Look? (photo)

I went to see my ps and he made me tried different sizers and I like the look of the 400, but he told me because I am small he would have to put a HP, but I prefer the MP because it looks more natural and I don't want to have the baseball look. He showed me pics of other of his patients that he did with HP and none of them look like baseball fake. So why on the internet they say HP gives a fake round look and some of his patients had little breast tissues like me, so how could it be?

Choosing size and profile

+2

There are a number of factors that can contribute to an artificial look after breast enlargement. Choice of implant is an important one. 

One of the principles it to avoid using an implant is wider than patient's breast. I don't have measurements for you, but from the looks of the photos anything other than a high profile implant would violate that principle. If you really want a moderate profile implant you will need to consider using a smaller implant.  An implant that is too wide will extend beyond the chest wall along the outside and may result in loss of definition between the breasts toward the center. 

Many surgeons, myself included, use HP implants more commonly that the other profiles. Natural (and unnatural results) can occur with any profile implants.

Choice Of Breast Implants

+2

Thank you for your picture. High profile implants will not necessarily give you the baseball look you seek to avoid. The surgeons' choice of implant is guided by several factors, length of chest wall, width of the breast, distance of the infra-mammary fold to the lower border of the areola and soft tissue characteristics of the breast tissue, to name a few. These factors are best evaluated with an in-person examination. For any size implant, the lower the profile for that specific amount of cc's, the wider the implant. This means that a lower profile will project out further under your arms and potentially leave your breasts too close together as the implants will need to be centered behind your nipple. A smaller volume implant to offset the width will lose projection of the breast.

As you can see there is quite a bit that goes into choosing an implant. Your best route will be to visit your plastic surgeon if you still have any concerns. Make sure that you communicate your goals to them in this way they can give you the best route to achieve your desired result. I hope this helps. 

Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Size vs. shape - getting the natural look

+2

Dear Breast2be

In my opinion, there appears to be challenge to get the size (volume) you are after with the look you want. You are very slim with little cover, so I would imagine a dual plane (partly behind the muscle) would be used, although it is impossible to say for sure without examining you. In terms of the most natural look, I would tend to use an anatomical (tear drop) shaped implant.

In terms of profile, depending on the implant manufacturer and projection the general rule of thumb is that the higher the profile, the less natural you will look. Therefore, whether you are using round or anatomical implants, you are right that a moderate profile will give you a more natural look...at the expense of size.

Therefore you need to compromise - either you accept the 400 size and look less natural as they are high profile, or you go for a moderate profile implant and accept a lower volume.

My suggestion would be the latter - go for shape and natural appearance rather than size - this will also serve your breasts best in the longterm.

Good luck with your decision!

Marc Pacifico, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

HP implants

+2

I think that it is important during the consultation to get properly evaluated.  The baseball look should be avoided in most cases if the right implants are chosen for you.

Don't Want the Baseball Look?

+2

I do not know where you saw the HP's give fake look. That is the best look for your frame. Seek second opinions. 

High profile implants may be a good option because of your narrow chest width

+2

Yes high profile implants are more likely to give you the bubble look but that can be countered by going under the muscle which covers the upper portion of the implant and thus smooths the top.  Going with a medium profile is an option but because they are wider a smaller volume may be possible in your case.  If you are unsure, review this with your plastic surgeon and understand that he is choosing your implants based on your chest width vs implant width.  

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC
Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Natural breast implants high profile or moderate plus profile

+2

I agree that high profile implants do not always give the baseball look. Choosing the right size implant, placement of the implant above or below the muscle and the final amount of capsular contraction all contribute to the fake round look. The doctors surgical technique is also very important. It sounds like your doctor is listening to you and using his or her judgement to give you what you desire. Good Luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Do High Profile Breast Implants Always Give A Tennis Ball On The Chest Appearance

+2

Thank you for your photo and your questions.  To get a round, phony tennis ball/baseball appearance form a high profile implant, I would either put it on top the muscle or get a capsular ocntracture or both. 

In my practice, I feel the high profile implants give a much better breast implant shape than the mid range (moderate plus profile).  I agree with you plastic surgeon because of your very narrow chest, moderate plus implants of 400 cc would be a bit wide, and also it has been my experience that the moderate plus implants of both manufacturers are mildly underfilled and can lead to traction, rippling in patients such as you, with low body fat.  In Hawaii, most plastic surgeons go partially under the pectoralis muscle.  This placement gives a tear drop shape to round implants.  I personally feel that high profile implants placed in the subpectoral position appear much more breast-like. 

It is hard for me to understand how high profile implants have been given a bad name, but I would assume that they were placed in thin skinned people above the muscle.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Your chest wall is narrow so if you want a very natural augment your size will be small, you dont want a wide implant because the implant will be visible either at your sternum or on the chest wall on the side

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Natural look with silicone retro-pectoral

+1

The goal of breast surgery is to have beautiful breasts.  Beauty is determined by multiple factors: position on the chest wall, symmetry, skin tone, areola position and least of all volume.  The most natural results are achieved with silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral. When placing the implants, it is not always possible to place a preconceived size.  The fact that you want 400 cc implants does not mean your body can accommodate them.  Since the implants are behind the muscle, the muscle determines the projection more than the type of implant.  There is very little difference between the moderate and high profile implants when placed retro-pectorally.  You should not focus on implant size and implant type but convey your goals to the plastic surgeon so he can meet them.  A simultaneous lift may be needed to achieve the desired outcome.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon