I don't have a lot of fat, but I still want minimal amounts removed under my jaw. Is this possible? (Photo)

I'm not overweight, if anything, I'm nearly underweight. But I'm kind of frustrated with the stubborn fat that underlines my jawline and chin. I really wish to have a more sharp/defined chin (like the second photo). My questions is, will liposuction make this possible? I've heard that there is only a certain amount of fat that doctors can remove under the chin...so how much can they remove off of mine? Can they remove enough to give an ideal jawline that I want? Thank you.

Liposuction

+2
For many people stubborn fat areas just won't go away with diet and exercise, liposuction to the jaw area will give you excellent results based on the photos provided.

Submental Fat Removal

+2
Fat beneath the con can be in one of two areas. If it is in the subcutaneous area, then liposuction can remove it. If, however, the fat is below the muscles, then it can be removed only by open surgery. Occasionally it is in both areas. Depending on your desires and the amount in each area, there could be several choices. See a plastic surgeon who has significant experience in both liposuction and surgical face and neck rejuvenation.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Submental Fat (fat below the chin) and chin projection

+2
Liposuction under the chin, or submental liposuction, works best for younger patients with tight skin and a notable fat pad.  It generally doesn't help as well with patients who have any skin laxity.  These patients do better with a concomitant neck lift procedure.

A genioplasty, performed either by cutting and moving the chin bone or by using a chin implant, can also give the appearance of a tighter neck and submental region by pushing the apex of the chin foreword.

Furthermore, for people who have abnormal occlusion (ie a significant overbite, or underbite) a more involved surgery may be indicated.  (The photo attached looks like an underbite is being simulated in the second photo).  If the bite needs to be corrected as well as the jawline, an orthodontist and potentially upper and lower jaw surgery maybe indicated.

If the patient's bite, or dental occlusion, is relatively normal: correction of the jawline maybe accomplished through submental liposuction, genioplasty, and neck lift procedures.

Of note, liposuction may tighten the submental area but will not give the chin more projection (which it looks like the patient is trying to create in the lower photo).

It is very important to see a board certified plastic surgeon when considering any cosmetic procedure.

Joshua Lampert, MD

Jawline

+2
Yes, liposuction combined with laser treatment under the skin will tighten your jawline without the need for more aggressive surgical procedures

Malcolm D. Paul, MD

Submental liposuction

+2
It's a little difficult to tell for sure if you are a candidate for submental liposuction or not based on these photos. But in general, for a younger patient like yourself, it would be the best option to improve the jawline. You do not appear to be in need of any type of neck lifting procedure. The other possible option would be to combine some liposuction with a chin implant. Again, I am not certain if you really need these proecedures, but they are options to improve the neck and jawline. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

I don't have a lot of fat, but I still want minimal amounts removed under my jaw. Is this possible?

+2
Your goal picture is probably not achievable, but an exam would be helpful to assess the extent of supraplatysmal fat.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

+2
There are several factors that have to be considered and we can't get those answers on this problem without an exam. Set up a consultation with an experienced surgeon.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Jawline fat removal

+2
We really need to see all views of your face plus need to examine you and feel the tissues of your neck and jaw.  You may have a little fat there that can be removed or you may have muscle that we see in your photos.  This is impossible to determine.  See a local surgeon in your area  (ABPS certified) and get an opinion.   My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction for under chin fat

+1
Hi,
If on examination it turns out that most of the under chin fat is below the skin then liposuction (especially a procedure such as a energy assisted liposuction - Laser, Smart Lipo, Bodytite) can give you an excellent result
hope this helps
prashant

Prashant Murugkar, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of the jawline/neck does great under local.

+1
Liposuction should make a big improvement in your neck/jawline and is done easily under tum. local for roughly $2500 on special and you are back to work in1-2 days with almost no bruising or swelling because of the special foam dressings and you can drive yourself home. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon