I Don't Have a Full Upper Lip, is Botox Convenient for my Gummy Smile?

Botox and "gummy smile"

+1

Yes, Botox injected strategically will help relax the musculature to avoid the gummy smile. Be sure to consult with a well-trained and reputable provider for best results.

Botox to Prevent Gummy Smile

+1

Yes.  Botox can be placed in small amounts underneath the nose to help prevent a gummy smile.  It works by temporarily weakening the muscles of the upper lip thereby preventing complete elevation of the upper lip when you smile.

Anthony Bared, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and filler to relax and enhance the lips

+1

I recently had a patient who was displeased with this same issue.  I administered some Botox above her upper lip to relax it slightly.  She had significant improvement and was really happy with her result.  Always have realistic expectations when trying to change your anatomy.  To enhance the fullness of the lip, this type of procedure would marry very nicely with a hyaluronic acid filler such as Juvederm or Belotero.  I do, however, recommend waiting to see the result of the lip being relaxed and then decide with your facial plastic surgeon if you would benefit from the filler. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm for Lip Injection

+1

Botox is not used as filler. If you want a fuller upper lip, I suggest having a hyaluronic acid filler like Restylane or Juvederm injected into the area desired.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for a gummy lip

+1

Botox injections can lower the upper lip to treat a gummy smile.  If your upper lip is thin, it might look a little thinner after the treatment.  You may benefit from some filler injections in the upper lip (and maybe the lower lip too)  to complete the enhancement.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Treatment options for thin upper lip and gummy smile

+1

Botox is an option for reducing the amount of gum show when you smile.  It may alter the shape of your smile, so just be aware of this if you decide to give it a try.  Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm are a great option to create more fullness in your upper lip.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Botox to drop upper lip for lessening gummy smile

+1

Botox will work to a degree. It depends on the amount of gum show you have. By relaxing the upper lip muscle the upper lip area elongates and can cover part or all of the gumline. Your individual facial structure will determine just how much gum can be covered while still retaining a natural movement of the lip.

Botox has to be carefully finessed to work in this area. Too much and your natural lip movement will be unpredictably modified. Too little and you'll have no response. And of course, the location of the injections are key as well.

You should be willing to give up a small amount of upper lip mobility, but if done correctly, no one but you will notice. (We all tend to notice even the most minor changes in our own facial expression!)

Botox works quite well for this problem and also for reducing enlarged masseter muscles that create a very square jaw line.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Gummy smile and botox

+1

Botox may help with a gummy smile but will restrict motion of your upper lip. Best to be seen in person.

Botox

+1

You should post pictures so that we can better advise you.  Without pictures, we are all just guessing as to whether Botox or filler can help.  These techniques can help with minor show, but significant show may require surgical intervention.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Gummy smile

+1

Botox can drop the lip, but to get enough lengthening, it will adversely affect the smile.  Fillers can help low the lip a little and can camouflage the issue.  If you have a tight upper lip frenulum (the web in the middle of the inside part of the lip), this can be released.  Otherwise, your best option might be a surgical jaw procedure.

Best wishes

David Alessi, MD