If I Don't Feel Burning/pain After Liposuction, Does That Mean my Doctor Didn't Take out Enough Fat?

I had tumecent lipo a week ago on my flanks/abdomen. It burns like crazy on my flanks but not my abs. My doctor said he took more out of the flanks than the abs, so it makes sense that my flanks would burn more, but I'm worried that he didn't take enough out of the front because it doesn't hurt hardly at all and it doesn't burn at all and the swelling isn't going down even though it's almost gone on my flanks. I'm just worried because I told my doctor that my abdomen was my main area of concern.

Liposuction

+1

Severity of pain (burning) does not correlate to the amount of liposuction performed.  Some of my patients do report more pain from the waists/flanks than the abdomen.  One week is too soon to evaluate the outcome of your surgery.  It takes anywhere between 3-6 months to see the result of liposuction.  At this point, you should follow your plastic surgeon's post-operative instruction, keep the compression garment, and limit the activities.  Wishing you a rapid recovery.

Pain and Surgery in Liposuction do not correlate to amount done

+1

No,  there is no correlation.  Just let the healing process go forward and see the result.  Most patients are delighted with liposuction results.  You will be also.  My Best,   Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Still swollen after lipo

+1

At one week after surgery, it is too early to really know what the final result will be. It is certainly possible to be more swollen in one area than another at one week. This does not necessarily mean anything. Once the swelling completely settles, you can see the final result and then determine if anything else needs to be done. At one week, most surgeons are not likely to do any revisions, so there is no point in worrying about it. Give it at least 3 months and even up to 6 months to see how it looks. If at that point, you think you need a revision, then you can discuss it with your surgeon. Having more burning pain in one area versus another does not necessarily correlate with how much fat was removed.

Paul Wigoda, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

+1

Swelling can persist for 6 months and sometimes up to 1 year following liposuction.   If you are concerned about the amount suctioned, you should just ask your surgeon.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA