Doc Says Don't Do Daily Massages for Breast Lift/Aug? Worried About Capsular Contracture.

One week pre-op now....Dr. doesn't want me to start my daily massages for breast lift/aug at least until my next appt in 6 weeks. I am worried about Capsular Contracture. My healing looks good and no problems... Why wait on daily breast manipulations? Is this normal? I went from a saggy small B to 375ccs larger.

Massage after Breast Augmentation

+2

Many of us recommend post-op massage but would all agree that it has never been proven to reduce the chance of capsular contracture. It may help the implant settle into its' final position by stretching the muscle and breast tissue of the lower portion of the breast.  You have chosen your surgeon and are doing well, so trust your choice and try to not second guess him or her.

Breast Massage after Mastopexy and Augmentation

+1

Many physicians wait until the incisions are healed from the mastopexy (breast lift) before they start the massasing of the implant so that the incisions won't open.

Robert N. Young, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and augmentation and massage

+1

Massage is not recommended by all surgeons, and there is no scientific proof that it helps at all. Even those that recommend it, may not want you to do it with a lift procedure.

Massage and Capsular Contracture

+1

There is no evidence that massage will decrease the risk of capsular contracture. It sounds like you should listen to your surgeon's recommendations.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Preventing Capsular Contracture in Breast Augmentation

+1

Capsular contracture, or hardening of the scar around a breast implant, is a complication of breast augmentation surgery that can be difficult to treat. The specific cause has not yet been scientifically proven but there are leading theories as to what the cause might be. Along these same line, the best method of preventing contracture has not been proven either. There are certain measures that can be taking during surgery and perhaps in the post operative period to help lesson the chance of contracture. I would recommend that you follow your surgeon's guidelines and discuss the rationale for the timing of massage with your surgeon.

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Massaging Implants after Augmentation + Lift

+1

In my practice, I generally encourage manipulation of implants to prevent capsule contracture.

As you can see from the comments here, experts may disagree on techniques, but surgeons will generally agree on advising your following the recommendations of your surgeon. It is reasonable to ask your surgeon if there is a particular reason he/she is having you postpone manipulation. For example, one reason could be minimizing stres on new suture lines.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Implant massage does not prevent capsular contracture

+1

There is no evidence from clinical studies and no theoretical basis for implant massage to prevent capsular contracture. It is sometimes helpful to encourage implants to settle into the right position. Go with your own surgeon's advice.

Richard Baxter, MD

Massage of Breast Implants

+1

Hello BBnow,

Breast implant massage doesn't prevent capsular contracture.  This is a well propagated myth by both the public and plastic surgeons.  Do what your surgeon tells you to do; you should trust him, that is why you chose him, right?

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Massaging implants post-op

+1

I have not been impressed that massage decreases contracture. Many women who don't massage don't get contractures and some who do massage do get them. We just don't know enough about why they happen and until we do, we probably won't be able to prevent them. Your best source of information is your surgeon who knows your case well and is able to advise you best.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Massage after Mastopexy/Aug

+1

I agree that you should follow the advice of your surgeon.  He may not want you to massage early so that your breast tissue has time to heal to avoid recurrent ptosis due to stretching of the tissue.  Massage has not been shown to definitely prevent capsular contracture, and most people who do not massage do not develop capsular contracture.

Donald Griffin, MD