I don't have a belly button and have a big scar on my stomach? (photo)

Is there a way to get rid of the scar? And get a belly button? I am 21 years old. I was born with Gastroschisis. I have about a 5/6in scar across my stomach. Also I have no belly button. I want to know of there is a way I can have my scar removed and a belly button put on my stomach. I'm so self conscious, and I want to have a beautiful body. So please if you could inform me. With info or suggestions or surgeons. Thank you so much. Mackenzie

I don't have a belly button and have a big scar on my stomach?

+1

In your case ONLY IN PERSON evaluations will be appropriate. Seek ONLY boarded PSs in your city/state. I would recommend additional scar revision with a reconstruction of the umbilicus via the 'maltese cross flap' techniques..

+1

You can have a dramatic improvement in both contour and appearance, but there will always be a scar. If well done, the scar will be much improved and less noticeable than the current one.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

+1

This can be improved if you are OK with having a less obvious scar. I have treated a few cases like yours with a combination of liposuction and scar revision to minimize the horizontal scar. The belly button can be improved at the same time. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Creating a Bellybutton

+1

To answer your specific questions, you cannot get rid of the scar but you can create a bellybutton. You can, however, revise or hide the scar.If you have enough extra skin (and it appears you have a significant amount) you can move the scar down to the bikini line
with a tummy tuck using a small circular portion of the old scar to create a
new bellybutton.If you do not have quite that much skin, then use of liposuction and scar revision or a central tummy tuck and scar revision could markedly improve the appearance of the scar.See a plastic surgeon with significant experience in body contouring and scar revision.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Belly button

+1

Thank you for the pictures.

According to your pictures I believe that a scar revision will help your apperance tremendously, the belly button can be a new one and it can be smaller and natural looking.

Always consult with a certified Plastic Surgeon.

Good Luck. 

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Belly button and poor scar

+1

You're a great candidate for a revision which can eliminate the deep depression in your mid abdomen and leave you with a scar that is level with the rest of your tummy. Leaving some of the central scar could create a pretty good resemblance of a belly button.While there may be no way to eliminate the scar and make a totally perfect belly button, great improvement is a near certainty. 

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

Gastroschisis repair

+1

yes there is! A tummy tuck will move the scar down into your underwear region. An umbilicoplasty or belly button creation can be done at the same time. Bill Kortesis at the Hunstad-Kortesis center in Charlotte is a talented surgeon in your area.

Good Luck,

Dr Shifrin

David Shifrin, MD

No belly button, scar on stomach

+1

Based on your pictures, I think there is a lot that could be done to improve the appearance of your abdomen.  First, a belly button is basically just a scar on everyone.  You have a scar in the right place for a belly button.  It just needs to be made a little more belly button-ish.  Second, the fullness around your scars makes the scars themselves stand out even more.  I think this fullness could be addressed with either some fat manipulation in the area (removing it on one place, adding it in another).  I think your scar itself could be revised (unfortunately, scars cannot be removed) so that it is less depressed and less noticeable.  It would be hard to go into specifics without first examining you, but I think there are some things that could be done to give you a very nice stomach.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Scar revision and creation of a belly button

+1

Thank you for the questions and photos.  As stated below, you are a good candidate to have a scar revision with creation of a new belly button.  It might even be possible to be done with local anesthesia (awake).  Be sure to seek a PS who has special interest in body contouring procedures and that you feel comfortable with.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

I don't have a belly button, and I have a big scar on my stomach.

+1

You are an excellent candidate for scar revision, and creation of belly button.  You will always have a scar, but it can be revised to look much better.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) for an exam to discuss your options and goals.  Best wishes! 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD