Doctor Referrals In The Dominican Republic for Nose Job?

My family in originally from the Dominican Republic and I was wondering if there were any good surgeons over there that perform Rhinoplasty.

Travel medicine not a good idea...

+2

Hi IssyL-

I don't think you'll find many surgeons on this forum who will encourage you to travel to the Dominican Republic (or any other country for that matter) for cosmetic surgery--not because there are no qualified surgeons there, but rather, for the following reasons:

1.  You should have surgery where you live.  New York is abound with qualified plastic surgeons.  When you go to a board-certified plastic surgeon, you can be assured that that surgeon has undergone rigorous surgical training which has been blessed and tested by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Board-certification is the gold-standard for plastic surgery training and expertise that all US hospitals and in fact, many other countries look to when determining the qualifications of a surgeon.  The Dominican Republic may or may not have such a structured method of assessing the qualifications of its surgeons.  I can assure you that if it does, it does not meet the high standards found in the United States.

2.  You may save money at the outset, but should you have any complication whatsoever, you will end up spending more money in the end.  After you leave the DR, you will be back home in NY without a plastic surgeon to see for follow up.  Should you need to be seen for routine follow up or a complication, you will have to pay someone to see you.  If your complication is more serious and you require a revision, you will have to pay a plastic surgeon a significant amount of money.  I suppose you could always fly down to the DR for this, but airfare/hotel feels, etc will begin to mount.  Most American plastic surgeons will offer you free follow up care and a free revision for the first year postop should you require it.

Rhinoplasty is one of the more complex cosmetic proceures we plastic surgeons perform.  This is your face after all.  Trying to save a few bucks when it comes to such serious life decisions really doesn't pay and in the end, can very easily costing a lot more than you bargained for! 

Why

+1
You have the best plastic surgeons in the world in NY. Why travel. If you have a problem and don't like the result who will take care of you? I think that you have to be nuts to go abroad for cosmetic surgery.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Foreign travel for cosmetic surgery

+1

I am not a big proponent of foreign travel for cosmetic surgery.  Once you are back home what is your recourse if something needs to be addressed? What is the status of healthcare in general where you are planning to go?  What if something happens while you are there? Can you get the care you need?  Is the blood supply clean if you should need a transfusion?

Not such a good plan.......

Daniel Greenwald, MD