Are Dome Sutures Exposed After a Rhinoplasty and is It Possible to Disrupt Them?

I had an open rhinoplasty 6 weeks ago, which included tip reduction using sutures. Today, I was cleaning an inner nostril with a Q-tip, and saw what looked like a stitch being pulled, and then spring back such that I now can't see it. There was no pain. Is it possible that a stitch that was used to narrow my nasal tip was exposed and now disrupted, ultimately altering my nasal tip? Thank you.

+2

That would be very unlikely, but an exam by your surgeon could help determine this.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Exposed Sutures post rhinoplasty

+2

It is most likely that these sutures are going to be disolvable sutures used to close the lining of the nose, not sutures used on the tip.  To access the tip sutures would be extremely difficult and painful so it is very unlikely to the issue.  The answer though is to discuss it with your surgeon and this should clarify things

All the best

Jeremy Hunt

Jeremy Hunt, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

+2

No its not possible to disrupt them.The swelling that is bothering you after removal of nasal splint is the cause that is bother you.This is normal.These sutures can not be reached since they are not close to mucous or skin any where.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon