Are These Dog Ears?? When Can This Be Fixed??

I had the mommy makeover done on April 6th 2011. I notice the puckering in the skin right away I told the doctor about my concerns but I was told this puckering of the skin is normal and that it would go away in time. Its summertime and I cant wear allot of what I would like due to this Ugly result. I also have a hole in my incision. Can I get this fixed before the summer ends?? whats the usual time frame to get this fixed? Is it dog ears? What would you recommend??Whats with the hole??

Low Tummy Tuck Scar Can Leave "Muffin Top"

+3

Thank you for your question. Keeping the Tummy Tuck Scar Low-below the top of the Hip Bone leaves tissue that would normally be removed if the Tummy Tuck Incision had been in the normal "cleavage Plane" between the abdomen and pubic area. You can see this normal line running up above your incision on both sides.

This can be revised, the excess tissue above the scar will have to be removed and the scar may need to be pulled higher. This is not a true "dog ear."

Muffin top problems

+2

An abdominoplasty (TT) is a procedure that addresses the skin, fat and muscles of the abdomen.  Extra skin is removed, fat is removed and the muscles are tightened.  Every single TT is individualized and they vary considerably.  The current trend in women's fashion is for very low riding jeans, which has created a problem for most women we like to refer to as the MUFFIN TOP.   

The muffin top is the extra skin and fat in the flank area that hangs over the jeans.  It needs to be addressed when performing a tummy tuck.  Unfortunately for you, it was not addressed adequately.  You needed the skin excision to continue around your hips and a little bit into your back to remove the muffin top.  I refer to this procedure as an EXTENDED ABDOMINOPLASTY, and has become one of the most common tummy tucks I now perform.  You will need a revision if you want this fixed.  It also appears that not enough fat was removed from your abdomen and you would benefit from a repeat liposuction to your entire abdomen, flanks and lumbar area.

The small opening in the midline looks like an old suture trying to poke through the skin, this can be removed in the office.  Many dissolvable sutures are placed at the time of the TT, some poke through the skin before they completely dissolve and need to be removed.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Dog Ears

+2

From the photos, it doesn't look like you have "true" dogears.  The incision is low therefore making it difficult for you to wear the clothes you like.  Best option would be to talk to your surgeon and discuss your concerns and see how he/she will help you achieve your goals.

Tummy tuck with lateral tissue fullness

+2

I don't know that I would call these "dog ears", but rather the untreated fullness that you had in that area even before surgery, although it is probably more noticeable because the front has been tightened, and in that sense you might call them dog ears.  In any case, I do not think they will improve very much, and the treatment would be the same whether you call them "dog ears" or not: extend the scar further backward, removing more tissue.

I disagree with the criticism of the location of the scar.  It is true that carrying the scar higher would be a more "natural" line, and would probably have made it easier to remove this tissue, but then your scar would be higher, and visible in many contemporary fashions.

James Nachbar, MD

Dog Ears

+2

Thanks for posting your pictures - it makes the questions and answers much more informative.  Based. on your pictures, it does not look like you have true dog ears.  Dog ears are caused by trying to make a shorter incision when a longer one is necessary or by having a mismatch between the length of the upper incision length and the lower incision length when excising the extra skin.  What you have is more a result of your anatomy and placement of you incision.  The best approach at this point would be to do liposuction of the areas and a scar revision to place the incision in your natural crease. 

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Improving "Dog Ears"

+2

The puckering of skin and/or fat at the end of a long incision is called a "dog ear".  It is not uncommon after an abdominoplasty.  Some improvement may be expected over several months, but revisions may be necessary.  From what can be seen, you would benefit from a little liposuction of the areas.  Talk to your doctor, but you probably can do it anytime now.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Dogears scars liposuction

+2

Tthe lateral fullness is not from dogears but from excess fatty tissue in the area of the lateral scars.  It is not unusual to have this type of contour after a tummy tuck.  Liposuction works well to improve the contours there.  I usually recommend waiting until  the scars have reached their plateau before going back for liposuction so that if there are any scar concerns (irregularity, color or contour mismatch, etc.) the scars can be revised at the same time.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Dog Ears After Tummy Tuck

+2

Technically speaking, no this is not really a dog ear, as dog ears are located at the lateral part of the incision.  You have significant fullness preop up in the lateral area which would have prompted me to place the incision higher to remove that lateral extra fullness and also perform some liposuction.  At this point, you need to wait until you are 4-6 months postop and then you can consider revision surgery.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Location of abdominoplasty scars

+2

You do not have true dog ears.  Your situation illustrates an important factor is determining the placement of the abdominoplasty incision line.  Fashions change over the years.  When I went into practice almost 22 years ago women were wearing high cut French bikinis and they all wanted their scars high so they wouldn't show.  Over the years the cuts have changed and now those women complain because their scars show above their low rise jeans.  In your case your surgeon placed the incision low so you could wear current fashions, but you have  a well defined  crease rising steeply over your hip bones and fullness in your hips below it.  The scar stands out because it does not follow the crease and  is still quite pink.  It will take many (12) more months to fade completely and the swelling will take several (4).  So time will make the scar stand out less.  You could revise the scar which would mean lengthening and raising it.  Another option would be to have liposuctioning of your hips.    I would not do either for at least another 3-4 months.  Try on your bathing suits and jeans while you consider your options.  I am sure your surgeon wants you to be happy so work with him/her.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Mommy makeover - abdominoplasty

+2

Technically speaking those are not dog ears. The outer right and left thirds of the scar are just a little too low. My preference is to place them in the natural creases which are oriented obliquely, the way legs attach to a doll. The easiest way to do that in your case would be to remove the traingle of skin between the current outer portions of your scar and the natrural skin crease. That would effectively remove what you percieve as a bulge. Of course the resulting scar is designed to be hidden by a french cut bikini rather than the low hip hugging pants teenagers tend to currently wear. That revision is best done by your operating surgeon who really did not do a bad job. You could liposuction this triangular area but I do not think that will give you as good a result as removing the triangular area. It depends on what type of clothing you like to wear.

The hole is small and hard to see and is mostly likely related to a deep suture.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD