Are These Dog Ears After my 2nd Tummy Tuck Revision? (photo)

Hello Doctors, Looking at my photos can you say if I "still" have dogears? I had FTT w/mr 5+ years ago, I then had dogears removed cut off then I still had a deformed look so I had lipo on flanks done twice, still there so I went to a new PS and had a full scar revision to lower and improve scar however I could see the lumps straight out of the recovery room :( Is it still dogears or just swelling I am 4 days post revision. Thank you.

Latearl swelling after abdominoplasty revision

+1

IT looks like you have some swelling of the lateral hips after your revision and this may resolve on its own.  This does not appear to be a dog ear. 

Tummy Tuck Revision and Dog Ears - Los Angeles Tummy Tuck Revision

+1

You may have residual swelling. It is sometimes appropriate to undergo liposuction for tummy tuck revision and dog ears. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Dog Ear Revision

+1

Thank you for the photos.  It is early in your recovery.  I would wait 3 months then reevaluate.  You may have better success with liposuction of those areas if they are still an issue 3 months from now.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Dog ears from tummy tuck

+1

At four days, there is still some swelling, so it is hard to tell.  Eliminating dog ears from tummy tucks can be frustrating.  Do you cut them out or lipo them?  Overall, your result looks pretty good and you should hold off on any decisions regarding more surgery.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

No dog ears present

+1

I really don't see any dog ears on any of these photos.  I'd have to see lateral views to truly assess your anatomy.  It looks like you need lipo of your hip/love handles which would really require turning you on your side during the operation.  This positioning would give better access and sculpting ability but is usually a separate procedure or an addition to the tummy tuck.  

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Are these dogears following Tummy Tuck Revision

+1

Per your photos, I would agree that it is really too early to gauge whether or not these are residual dog ears or simply postoperative swelling.  

My suggestion is that you be patient and reassess in a few months once the swelling has gone down.  I would disagree that dog-ears are a technical failure.  A good surgeon certainly sees less of them but, in my mind, they are also related to geometry and skin elasticity.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Dog Ears or Swelling

+1

Dog ears represent a technical failure, and I do not see this in your photos.  Any person who had a great deal of laxity will have residual laxity beyond the area of resection. 

Are These Dog Ears After my 2nd Tummy Tuck Revision

+1

At four days it would not be surprising that there is swelling. The distinction would be made by an actual exam, not on photos alone. Patience. 

All the best. 

Dog ears sometimes are from skin elasticity changes

+1

Sometimes the fullness laterally is from the lack of elasticity in the skin. There is a limit in the amount of skin that can be resected at the time of the TT. If you try to take too much then you may create excess tension on the scar and it will not heal well. The lateral resection is limited by the OR table. If you have had posterior liposuction of the hips, then it might be worth considering resecting additional skin posteriorly. This means more scar around your waist line. Only a direct examination by a Board Certified plastic surgeon can confirm this. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD