Dog Ear After a Dog Ear Removal Procedure (photo)

I had a tummy tuck a year ago and I ended up with a dog ear on the right side. After undergoing a second procedure to remove the Dog Ear, another one was formed just at the end of the new incision, which make she extremely upset. Now, I need to fix this second dog ear and I no longer trust my plastic surgeon, as a matter of fact, the idea of going to another consultation with him makes me sick to my stomach. I could not be more depressed about it. What are my best options?

Not happy with "dog ear" after 1st revision

+2

The resolution of your photos is very low, making discernment of your issue not very accurate. It appears that you may just have some excess fat in the area rather than a true dog ear. If such is the case, then simple liposuction performed in the office with local anesthesia should resolve your concerns. As you seem to have no confidence in your plastic surgeon, the only other option of reason would be to see another plastic surgeon who will ultimately charge you far more than what you would be been responsible for if you stayed with your original plastic surgeon.

Dog ear after abdominoplasty male

+2
Thanks to Realself you can get some good advice which you need. As you're a young male and have had an abdominoplasty, I suspect you've had a major weight loss. You will therefore have less skin elasticity than normal. And, your scar is shorter than many people with your situation. You also look to have an excellent overall result. You need to know that. You don't have a dog ear. What you have is this: in abdominoplasty there is a fundamental difference between the shape of women and men. Below the hip laterally, women flare out into a beautiful curve. There is some natural subcutaneous fat in this area in women, so joining the thicker upper flap above the scar to the somewhat thick subcutaneous tissue of the anterolateral hip flare is possible to do evenly. But men are completely different. The thickness of the upper flap is natural, and made worse by weight loss. But over the anterolateral upper thigh in men, there is virtually no subcutaneous tissue. If you do a skin pinch you'll see what I mean. Very thin below the lateral scar, and thicker above. Getting this smooth is done by fine liposuction for 5 to 7 cm above the lateral scar. No matter how I try to get this upper flap thin enough on males at the abdominoplasty, I find I am often going back either in the office or in the OR to do a further thinning of this area. This only happens on males for the reasons above. So, in summary: you have had a very good operation. You have a good result. It needs a minor touch up to make it perfect, no big deal. You now know why. Whether you go to your original surgeon or elsewhere is your call. Good luck to you.

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Correction of dog ear after tummy tuck

+2

I recommend consulting with another board certified plastic surgeon in your area for  an evaluation and treatment plan. Based on the photo, this dog ear seems quite small and should be easily treated. Best wishes

William Bruno, MD

Dog ear excision after male tummy tuck

+1

The main thing here is that you have no more confidence in your plastic surgeon. You should seek another opinion. This problem should be easily taken care of with a small procedure using only local anesthesia. You may even benefit from a small amount of liposuction in that area.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Not All "dog ears" are Dog Ears

+1

From your photos you appear to have a good result. It does not appear you have a dog ear just a little too much fat in this area that can be corrected with liposuction as an office procedure under local anesthesia. Remember plastic surgery is an inexact science and art form and realistic expectations are important. If you have lost confidence in your plastic surgeon then seek the advice and treatment from a board certified plastic surgeon.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Tummy Tuck Results and "Dog Ears"?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

You should be aware that your plastic surgeon has done a beautiful job for you. Frankly, the words you use to describe the situation  are somewhat extreme in my opinion.  It may behoove you to take a look at your before pictures to remind yourself of the progress you have made and of the quality of tummy tuck surgery that has been performed.

Remember, that in order to remove extra skin (“dog ear”) at the end of coming tuck incision lines it is necessary to extend the scar.  I'm sure your plastic surgeon has done his best to remove the skin while limiting the extent of the scar.

I would suggest that you do your best to  achieve “emotional stability”  and to follow-up with your plastic surgeon so that he can address your concerns.

Dog ear following a tummy tuck.

+1

The photos are a bit grainy, but it does not appear that you have a true "dog ear." You have a very minimal amount of excess fat above the end of the incision. Focused liposuction or direct excision should treat this fairly easily. Overall, this is a very minor issue. If you are unhappy with your current plastic surgeon, then make a consultation with a different plastic surgeon.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Second Dog Ear After Tummy Tuck

+1

Sometimes persistent "dog ears" can form from excess swelling or the fact that these is still fat or loose skin in the area. If your plastic surgeon was able to offer a revision the first time, you should consider asking to revise this. A small office procedure with either an excision or liposuction should be enough.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Dog ear treatment after tummy tuck

+1

A dog ear is a gathering of tissue which usually results in a peaked appearance at the end of the scar. Your photo shows what appears to me to be an excess of tissue above the incision, and this could be improved with liposuction to even out the excess without lengthening the scar. It might be possible to do this minor correction in the office under local anesthetic. I would suggest you talk with your plastic surgeon and tell him what bothers you and give him the opportunity to help you. He has been responsive up till now and your overall result looks good to me. You have no guarantee that a second plastic surgeon would do a better correction and it would likely cost you quite a bit more.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon