Does Veneer Replacement Cost the Same As New Ones?

I am considering Veneers, and heard that it's quite pricey. If Veneers last only 5-10 years, will I be have to pay the same amount every time?

Veneers can and do last a long time.

+4

Veneers that have been properly done and well cared for, can and do last a long time. Your veneers may very well last longer than you or your dentist expect. I think it's realistic to expect that they will need to be redone at least once, however. I think it's also reasonable to expect to pay more to replace them than what you pay to get them. Veneers (unless they are no-prep veneers) are permanent, once you get one, you'll always need a veneer or crown on that tooth.

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

How long to Veneers last?

+3

Porcelain veneers are made of a very strong material and should last a long time if they are done properly and taken care of by the patient.    The reason they need to be replaced could be due to a few different things.  Mainly, we replace them due to gum recession, which will make the roots of the teeth begin to show.  Decay can still occur around the interface of the veneer with the tooth so good hygiene and regular cleanings are necessary.  Biting into hard or sticky things can also chip or break a veneers.  Night time grinding, without a night guard, can put a great deal of force on teeth and this may cause a veneer to break or a natural tooth.

Veneers are a beautiful way to enhance your smile and people who invest in this are very careful to take great care of the porcelain.  

Replacement veneers are done at the same cost in our office.

Kathy Frazar, DDS, FAGD
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

YES!!

+3

Believe it or not, removing veneers actually takes more time than doing a fresh set.

As conservative cosmetic dentists, we strive to make sure that only the necessary amount of tooth structure is removed. Thus, when you remove a set of porcelain veneers we want to ensure that we're only removing old porcelain and not unaffected tooth structure. Sometimes they blend together pretty well....so it takes time AND magnification. So yes, getting new veneers is the same price....if not more.

Peter Boulden, DMD
Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Veneer replacement cost depends

+2

The reason for replacement is the only issue if one breaks prematurely, the fee I charge may vary on the situation for my patients, it may be discounted it may not depending on the patient and the veneers. The only time I experienced a changed set is when my patients from the '80s came in wanting whiter teeth but no damage or complaints of the veneers breaking or falling off, I guarantee my work.

Benjamin S. Fiss, DDS
Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Veneers are not doomed to fail in 5-10 years

+2

While nothing is permanent or 100%, most cases last much longer than 10 years (mileage does vary). Many cases that I have personally redone were in service for 25 years, and only needed to be replaced because we have whiter porcelain availible now.

The fee is usually at LEAST as much as full fee, as removing veneers is harder than prepping untouched teeth. Usually they are being replaced for a reason, so determining why and treating the cause for failure makes the case more challenging.

If you are 20 years old, you should plan on doing the case over at least once in your life.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

How Long Do Veneers Last and How Much Do They Cost to Replace?

+1

First of all, I don't know where you got your information that a set of porcelain veneers only last 5-10 years?  That might be a range for the weaker plastic direct composite veneers, but those of us who are placing porcelain veneers, especially the new extremely strong EMax porcelain veneers, expect porcelain veneers to last many times longer than that. 

But, there are many variables that affect how long they will last.  Like a car, how long it lasts depends on what kind of car you bought in the first place, did you get into any accidents, do you drive it only on the streets or do you go off-roading, do you keep up your regularly preventive maintenance, what kind of driver are you, etc., etc.  With veneers, what material (plastic composite or porcelain) was used, how good and experienced is the dentist, is the patient a grinder or clencher, any accidents that hit the tooth or veneer, see the dentist on a regular basis to check the veneers, etc.?

I've been placing porcelain veneers since they were first introduced to dentistry around 1985, and even with the older techniques, bonding agents and porcelain, I have many veneers still functioning very nicely after over twenty years.

Regarding replacement costs.  Like a dental crown, usually if a porcelain veneer (not plastic composite veneer) comes off it can easily be bonded back into place.  If there is a little chip or area of decay or leakage, that can usually be fixed without replacing the entire veneer.  Frequently a dentist offers a sliding scale for veneer remakes on those rare cases where that is necessary.  Usually a dentist will replace at no cost if something happens during the first year, at half cost at 2 1/2 years, and full cost after five years.  The reason is that the longer the porcelain veneer was in the patient's mouth, the more likely the breakage had something to do with what that patient did or didn't do, and less with anything related to material or technique by the dentist.  So most cosmetic dentists will charge full fee to replace a porcelain veneer after five years.  The good news is that it is usually only a single porcelain veneer that needs to be replaced, not all of them.

Think about it.  Let's say you bought a BMW and after five years you got into an accident and damaged the fender, or even totaled the vehicle.  You wouldn't expect the BMW dealer to replace the BMW at no charge, would you?

Norman Huefner, DDS
Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Veneers Will Likely Cost More The Second Time

+1

The process of replacing an existing veneer is more time consuming and technique sensitive than having  one placed for the first time.  In addition, the price of dental procedures continues to rise annually.  For these reasons,  you can expect to pay more to have your veneers replaced the second time around.  Good luck.    

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Replacement Cost

+1

The answer is it depends. Sometimes replacing poorly placed veneers can cost more if the procedure was done poorly the first time. 

Removing veneers can take more time than placing them for the first time, so this could also contribute to the cost being more.

Your best option is to take care of your veneers to ensure they last longer.

Wear a protective nightguard EVERY night. Brush and floss daily. Avoid staining foods and smoking and get your teeth cleaned every 3-6 months.

Sylvan Fain, DDS
Miami Cosmetic Dentist