Does VASER Liposelection Work?

Does VASER Liposelection work, especially for smoothing the skin left loose and lumpy after a previous liposuction?

VASER helpful in some re-do cases

+3

There is a lot of confusion about terminology in liposuction. VASER is an advanced form of ultrasonic-assisted liposuction, but since they use the term "liposelection" it sounds like something nonsurgical. What it does do is apply ultrasonic energy via a tiny probe directly into the fat, which is then removed by liposuction. This is often helpful in re-do cases, where the fat has areas that are dense from scarring. I have been using VASER for a few years and this is one of the best applications for it.

VASER® Liposelection: Does it Work

+1

Carrie, VASER® Liposelection is my liposuction method of choice because it does work so well. Although it's gentler for my  liposuction patients, it's also more thorough, and studies have proven that there is less blood loss during the procedure and tighter skin afterwards compared with traditional liposuction, which means my patients have a faster and more comfortable recovery.

Now, to answer the second part of your question about smoothing the skin after a previous liposuction. Without seeing you in consultation, I can't definitively give you an answer. What I can say is that it depends a great deal on the quality of your skin. The younger you are, the more likely you have good skin quality. If, however, you have lost massive amounts of weight prior to liposuction or if you are older and have loose skin, it's unlikely that any kind of liposuction, including VASER®, will eliminate that. A little bit of looseness, maybe, but a great deal of looseness, no. I hope that helps. 

Whatever you do, see a board certified plastic surgeon for this revision liposuction procedure. Make sure you see before and after photos that show his or her expertise with patients who have had previous liposuction. That can help guide you to avoid another mistake. 

To your health and beauty,

Dr. Paul Vanek, Double Board Certified Cleveland area Plastic Surgeon in Mentor, OH

Paul Vanek, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Liposelection works!

+1

Liposelection (by using the VASER (™) is a new and very different way to remove unwanted fat from almost any part of the body, that is as gentle as it is effective. This revolutionary new procedure offers exceptional results and rapid healing, and is an alternative to the harsh techniques of traditional liposuction. Liposelection uses state-of-the-art ultrasound technology to reshape your body. Since it is more tissue selective than traditional liposuction, damage to connective tissue is minimized. There is less bruising and swelling than traditional liposuction and recovery is faster. In addition, more fat can be removed with smoother results and more contraction of the overlying skin when compared to traditional liposuction.

The treatment is done utilizing tiny incisions in inconspicuous spots. A solution is injected (tumescent approach) to facilitate fat removal and minimize bruising. The ultrasonic treatment (Liposelection) is then done. Liquefied fat is then removed.

After surgery, there will be some degree of swelling with the possibility of mild bruising. A form-fitting surgical garment is worn for several weeks to minimize swelling and optimize contour. Patients are encouraged to walk as soon as possible, and most return to work within one week (depending on the area treated). More strenuous activities can be resumed in 4-6 weeks.

Gregory A. Wiener, MD, FACS

VASER Liposelection or Skin Excision procedure

+1

VASER Liposelection is a great solution to removing unwanted fat deposits. I treat many patients with VASER for removing fat in areas such as the abdomen, inner & outer thighs, the “love handles”, and upper arms. Sometimes it’s possible to touch up the appearance of lumps or irregularities successfully with Vaser, if there is no skin laxity.

However Vaser cannot improve the appearance of loose or excess skin, and in fact further liposuction can actually make the situation worse. For patients who are interested in removing excess skin post liposuction, the best way to do that would be to have a tummy tuck if the skin is in the abdomen area, or a thigh lift or arm lift if the skin is in those areas.

The reason for this is that the excess skin will need to be lifted & removed in order to create the smooth and tight appearance you are looking to achieve. As with any procedure it’s always best to book a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, experienced in the procedures you’re considering. You can then discuss options suited to your unique situation.

Scott W. Mosser, MD

Vaser

+1

Vaser liposuction uses ultrasound energy which also creates heat and some skin tightening. However, if you have significant loose skin, then more than likely you will need some form of skin excision.

If there is a lot of loose skin after liposuction excision of skin may be necessary.

+1

Vaser Liposelection is a very useful tool. The ultrasonic energy is especially helpful in areas of fibrous fat such as the back or the male chest or in areas where there has been previous liposuction.. However if a patient has a lot of loose skin after liposcution it may be necessary to remove some of that skin to get the smooth contour desired. For example after a lot of liposuction of the inner thighs there may be enough loose skin left that the patient considers a inner thigh lift. However skin excisions leave scars so that has to be discussed and carefully considered.

Susan E. Downey, MD

VASER is great- but may not do what you are hoping...

+1

Hi there

VASER lipo is a fantastic option that, in my opinion offers the best combination of effectiveness and safety available. Having said that, however, it is important to understand that if you have skin laxity and rippling from prior suction procedures, there is NO machine or liposuction technology that will restore the appearance of smooth skin (no matter what the advertising says).

Minor contour irregularities without skin laxity can often be touched up successfully, but the skin is the key... if the skin is loose, further liposuction will only worsen the problem and you should talk to your board certified plastic surgeon about a skin tightening procedure (tummy tuck, thigh lift, etc). It will be more to go through, but is also much more likely to leave you happy with the final outcome.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS