Does a Suntan Affect Healing?

I am noticing on after photos of breast procedure patients that they have new and very pronounced tan lines. My understanding is that sun exposure can have adverse affects on surgery results. As a result I intend on avoiding the sun after my abdominoplasty and breast lift/augmentation. Am I being too cautious? Is it safe to tan after plastic surgery?

Tanning and surgery

+3

Thanks for the question Nancy -

You are correct - sun exposure can make scars either darker or lighter (hyper or hypo pigmented). Which happens is not completely predictable. As a result avoiding sun exposure on new scars (either with avoiding the sun or a good sunscreen) is an excellent way to minimize the appearance of scars.

Sun exposure and scars

+2

Sun exposure on scars especially early post-op should be avoided. It may lead to hyperpigmentation.  Sun protection or staying out of the sun are important.

Tanning after tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)

+1

You are very astute in your observations and yes, we generally advise avoidance of sun exposure after a tummy tuck or any surgery. However, the vast majority of patients have been so distraught by their abdominal appearance that they had previously avoided the use of bathing suits. The improvement in their abdominal contours and overall self esteem is one of the motivating factors for them proudly showing off their results. In any case, extremes of sun exposure should be avoided particularly in the early postoperative period. Burns and or scar hyperpigmentation may occur and the skin will eventually show signs of photo-aging and loss of elasticity.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/tummy-tuck/

Suntan and its healing after a tummy tuck

+1

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective way to contour the abdomen. Like all surgery, tummy tucks will leave a scar and if done properly, this car will be in a position that will be least noticed. However, keep in mind that a scar is made of fragile and young skin tissue that is very sensitive to sunlight. For this reason, in our practice, we recommend that patients protect their scar from sunlight for at least 10 to 12 months. We recommend that patients use the two compression garments that we give them for at least 5 to 6 months. During this time, patients began the skin care treatment of their scars with a skin cream and silicone sheets. We ask that patients continue to use a sunblock with an SPF of at least 50 as well as the silicone sheets on the scars for at least 10 to 12 months after their surgery. Using this regimen, our patients are able to benefit from a thin and faint scar that they can appreciate for the rest of their lives.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Web reference: http://www.miamiaesthetic.com/abdominoplasty_photos.htm

Stay out of the sun after surgery

+1

Most surgeons prefer their patients stay out of the sun after surgery. Tanning can increase the appearance of your scar and/or any bruises making them more noticeable.

Orange Plastic Surgeon