Does Smart Lipo Get Rid of Abdominal Fat?

Yes, Smartlipo Removes Fat

+3

You are correct, Smartlipo removes abdominal fat. However, you have clarify which abdominal fat you are referring to. There is intra-abdominal fat, which is located below your abdominal muscles. No liposuction method removes this mat. This fat is only removed by weight loss. There is another fat layer above your abdominal muscles. This is the layer that is affected by liposuction. All liposuction methods remove fat. Smartlipo works by first exposing the fat to laser, which melts the fat and coagulates the blood vessels (this helps reduce bruising). The Smartlipo laser also helps with collagen contraction, leading to tighter skin. After the laser treatment, the melted fat is suctioned out - similar to traditional liposuction - but in a much more gentle way.

I hope this is helpful.

David Shafer, MD
New York City

SmartLipo Triplex Tumescent Liposuction removes fat and tightens skin

+1

For most of our patients, there is minimal need for tummy tuck after SmartLipo Triplex Tumescent Liposuction of the abdomen as the fat pads are emulsified by the Smartlipo laser and subsequently removed with liposuction followed by fairly consistent skin tightening that takes place over 3-6 months post-op.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

ANY liposuction (not just Smartlipo) will get rid of abdominal fat

+1

assuming that the abdominal fat is subcutaneous (under the skin) and not intra-abdominal (inside, around the intestines).  You don't need to invest yourself in "smartlipo" specifically, as any liposuction technique will remove extra fat.  Please do make sure you see a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of PLASTIC Surgery (not a "cosmetic surgeon").  Good luck!

Carmen Kavali, MD

Smart Lipo for Abdomen

+1

Smart Lipo can work very effectively for the abdomen. However, traditional liposuction might be the better option for larger removal of fatty deposits on the abdomen.  The key is the consultation process. During the consultation process, a board certified plastic surgeon must understand a patient's needs, desires, medical condition, medical history, and lifestyle in order to recommend the appropriate surgical solutions for a patient. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Abdominal fat and smart lipo

+1

Yes, smart lipo does remove abdominal fat that is on top of your abdominal wall. It is ideal for removal of fat from the abdomen and love handles, but the ideal candidate is one that is in good health and normal-moderate body weight.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Smart lipo gets rid of abdominal fat

+1

i think Smartlipo is an effective way to remove abdominal fat. i believe it is best reserved for those with mild to moderate amount of fat. For those with larger amounts of fat, i think ultrasonic liposuction or a TT is a better option.

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo removes outer layer abdominal fat

+1

Yes, Smartlipo removes the outer fat layer closet to your skin...the inner layer of fat is by your vital organs and can only be removed with diet and exercise

Fernando G. Serra, MD
Clermont Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo for abdominal fat

+1

Yes, Smart Lipo will get rid of abdominal fat above the abdominal wall. It will not get rid of visceral fat beneath the abdominal wall. My current favorite procedure for abdominal fat is Slim Lipo because I've found it to work very well. This should not necessarily take away from Smart Lipo, it's just I've found in my personal experience, Slim Lipo works better for my personal approach to liposuction. I would also point out that I still use all forms of liposuction and customize the operation to the patient and area to be treated to give the best results. Your doctor should offer you the same custom approach that will get the best results for your anatomy and proportions.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

You can get an approximate feel what Smart Lipo will remove

+1

You can feel the firm muscle layer under the skin of the abdomen. Smart Lipo can remove the fat between the skin and this muscle layer. By poking your finger you can get a rough idea how thick the fat layer is that can be removed.  

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo Does Remove Fat

+1

Yes, Smart Lipo does removal abdominal fat. It only removes that fat that is on top of your abdominal wall. No form of liposuction will remove the fat that’s underneath of your abdominal wall, which is also called visceral fat. Unfortunately only diet will reduce that fat.

Bruce E. Katz, MD