Post to Forum

Does NHS cover tummy tuck surgery?

• 6 years ago

the nhs uk website has very limited information about tummy tuck.  has any one any experience with nhs paying for tummy tuck surgery?

View 4 doctor answers to NHS Tummy Tuck Criteria

Comments (34)

Sort by

Hi my name is chaz I'm 23 and a mother of 2 I just wanted to know if i could have a tummy tuck through the NHs and will it be free as I'm on ESA- employment support allowance
Reply
Hiya 16 years ago I had a c section but it wasn, t straight foward , I had an ovarian cyst which grew during pregnancy and blocked the birth canal due to this I was cut from the bellybutton down to the pubic bone , I had 2 more babies after this and now I am left with what I call my front bum , my doctor says I will have to have a private tummy tuck but I feel I should qualify for the nhs to fix this and I dont know how to get the ball rolling have you any advice please .
Reply
hi i am 37, and have 5 children, and was advised firstly a breast reduction by the physio, i was told by my gp i would have to get my bmi down to under 30, it took me 15 months to loose 7 stone 1 pound and get down to under this. on going back to the gp i was told this had now changed and i would also need a tummy tuck due to all the access skin on my tummy but that i now had to get down to a bmi of 25, i have been trying to do this for 3 years 3 months now and cant do it, i have seen a private surgeon who has told me i wont loose any more weight as what is left is loose skin and the fact i am large chested, i am totally misrable and am more unhappy now then i was when i was fat, is there anything anyone knows of getting this operation done.
Reply
It seems like a lot of people are depressed about the their weight and their appearance due to weight gain. Within on year I've gone from 240lb to 140lb by eating well balanced meals and exercising (walking at first and moved up to running, yoga, and natural resistance muscle building). I've got stretch marks and loose skin every where. When I weighed 160lb I went and saw a plastic surgeon and told me to loose more weight (not something I wanted to hear but it was honest). I was sad and depressed because of how I looked and how my weight was limiting my enjoyment on life. At some point when I was 240lb the switch flipped and I grabbed life in both hands and made the commitment to loose weight the healthy way. I have 20lb to go, I want to be 120lb at 5'4" it's a good weight. Then I'm going to go back to the surgeon. I guess my point is that you need to get as much fat off you before you get the surgery to get the best results and limit the need for more procedures. Also, I feel more confidant that when I do get rid of the loose skin I know how to maintain a healthy life style and won't balloon up again and undo all my hard work and the doctors.
Reply
I am a 30 year old female who has now lost just over 7 stone and was wondering would the nhs do a tummy tuck as i have lost so much weight i now have a really saggy belly with a big over hang. i have got an appointment to see a plastic surgeon on the nhs but im getting really nervous and worried that they will say NO as i cant afford to pay for one privately.
Reply
I have had my first baby and am also really depressed about my saggy stomach with stretchmarks ALL over it as well as over everyother part of my body. I've tried everything. Exercise has toned the muscle underneath but I don't know how to get rid of the pouch. One of my jobs before I got pregnant was modelling. I can't do that job anymore. My doctor isn't a very sympathetic person so I don't think that he would put me forward for the nhs option. I don't know what else I can do. Any ideas? I would love to be able to take my baby boy swimming and go on nice family holidays wearing a bikini.x
Reply
i'm 24 have 3 children, i find being around my friends very difficult. they're normal. can wear what they like. its gutt renching every morning getting dressed. i do everything i can to hide my sag but nothing works. i feel 58. i wont take my children swimming. i feel i'm letting them down. i want to be able to project self confindence to my daughter. but its all lies. i hate my body. i worry i will look back when i'm older i feel resentment that my youth was taken from me. i used to be someone else now i'm just a shadow of that person. i'm desperate for my life to change. a tummy tuck is the only answer.
Reply
i have only just turned 20 and 18months ago i had twins.during my pregnancy i put on 5.5 stone since then i have lost quite a bit of it and have a severe "hang over" due to where i had a c section. there is a lot of excess skin! im really self-concious, depressed i hate to look at myself in the mirror with or without clothes on! no matter what i do it wont shift i feel like im not me! are these feeling normal? i want a tummy tuck and would try my hardest to save for one but i hope the nhs can help so it could happen sooner rather than later!
Reply
Hi there, i know just how you feel, ive just turned 25 i have a 4 yr old and 6 month old twins, i had a emergency c-section with the twins so now have a very nasty over hang that i cant stand to look at, please let me no how you get on, all the best,
Reply
i got 3 kids got bit tummy really dont look good .want to do a tummy tuck free with nhs i am not working how can i book a appoiment with nhs .
Reply
im off to the dcctors this morning to enquire about a tummy tuck after having my first cild and losing 7 stone which has left me with a pouch a kangeroo would be happy with!!!!! This information has been very useful thank you!!!!!!!!!!
Reply
This is on the nhs site: To qualify for surgery to improve your appearance, you must meet specific criteria as set out by your local health authority. The NHS will not pay for surgery for cosmetic reasons alone; however, reconstructive surgery and cosmetic surgery to correct or improve congenital abnormalities and injuries will usually be carried out free of charge. In cases where a person is morbidly obese (has a body mass index (BMI) of 40kg/m2 or more) and has lost a significant amount of weight as a result of a controlled dieting programme and/or surgery, such as an apronectomy or adominoplasty (tummy tuck), further surgical procedures may be required to remove excess skin or correct any scarring or other abnormalities. Sometimes, as part of this process, liposuction may be used. Generally, however, liposuction is not available on the NHS.
Reply
I had major back surgery in 1997, which was unsuccessful. As a result I HAD to have 2 c-sections as i was unable to deliver my children 'normally'. I am unable to exercise as my back problem has now affected my hips and find it a problem to walk, bend etc. I also had to have a hysterectomy because my back problem affected my ability to deal with cleanliness when i had my periods. Its not nice having to have someone to wash you when you are unable to reach certain parts of your body!!! I find that having this large fold of 'dead' skin and muscle affects my self confidence and appearance and think that because (through no fault of my own) of this i think i would be a good candidate for a tummy tuck on NHS. I really sympathise with everyone who has this 'tummy trouble' and would like to hear other peoples' opinions.
Reply

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for joining the discussion and sharing your story. :) Have you spoken with your GP yet about getting a surgical referral?

Good luck and please keep us posted!
--Sharon

Reply
Hi, Not been on for a while but I wanted to let you now I had my tummy tuck last week. Very pleased with the results although still swollen and bruised. I so happy I have no saggy skin and it was so worth the pain!!!! Suzed keep trying!! I hope you have some luck. X
Reply
Hi ddtonti Thanks for letting me know that it is possible to have tummy tuck on nhs. I was beggining to despair. I will keep trying. You never know! Suzed xx
Reply
Hi, Im in a very similar situation to you, I too have had 3 c sections (my first baby weighing in at 11lb 2oz), and have been left with overhanging skin which has no feeling in it!! After my first was born my health visitor seemed to think I would be a good candidate for a tummy tuck, Im in the process of exercising and trying to get to my ideal weight as i put on a couple of stone in pregnancy then I will approach my gp. Im 24 and dont think I could live happily for the rest of my life not being comfortable in my own skin! Saying that during my 3 section my consultant actually cut off a lot of the overhang, as their was a lot of it, but I have still been left with an overhang and cut stomach muscle which cause a lot of discomfort in my back. I dont see it being a major issue as long as your local primary care trust are willing to fund it. Im going to go along the lines of " It affects my confidence, I would rather not go out than wear clothes that are frumpy and make look about 10years older!" and hope that gets me somewhere! Will let you know how I get on! Leanne
Reply
dear leanne i am in your situation i have had 3 pregnancys two were emergency's c/sections i have been left with saggy skin and weak tummy muscles im afraid to say no amount of exercise has helped me tone up i exercise daily at home gym twice aweek 40 stomach crunches a day and i hav enothing to show for it.it has effected my life concidrably my marriage for one. my doctors has now refered me so fingers crossed i will let you all know.
Reply
Good luck, Clare! Everything I've read on the subject says that it all starts with a good GP who is willing to stand behind you during the process. Glad to hear your doctor was willing to refer you; some do, some don't. :-/ Best of luck and please let us know how you get on, Sharon
Reply
just out of interest, where do you live? im in scotland.just wondering cos i know it can be a bit of a postcode lottery sometimes!!
Reply
Hi there, I am wnodering if any of you girls have had this op funded by the NHS? I have had twins in April, and this was a c0section after a preivous c-section, so yes pretty bad looking and affecting me. My GP is not supportive. I have already spoken to her but she has discrouaged me and said I should go private. I don't know is its worht huminliating myself further. Your input much appreciated. Thanks Rgds Deena
Reply
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Have you tried going to a different doctor? I know at my GP, there are a few doctors there and I never actually see the person listed on my NHS card. Maybe you'll have better luck if you ask for someone else? If it's a situation that is upsetting you, you should definitely pursue it further. Even if it comes down to asking the GP for a mental health referral, and telling that doctor how you're feeling, it'll be worth it to get yourself taken care of. Good luck and keep us posted, --Sharon
Reply
Thanks Sharon, I think and from what I read that my GP is right, it is very rare for an abdominoplasty to be perfomed on the NHS, unless it is after sever weight loss or to correct some other 'congenial abnormalities' and or injuries. Now to me having the twins beats any weight loss cause I was huge for my frame towards the end, and as fo injuries well the c-section scar is still unsightly as well as the lax hanging skin. But I have no hope at my local GPs, they are all unsympathetic, I can pretend I am depsressed about it and I am, but inside I know I am a strong person. I think I will just ask my mother if I can take it out of my inheritance and save myself years of pain and pleading with stone hearted doctors. Thank you for your concern. May I ask if you ever had a tummy tuck and how did it go? Is there a very good doc that does it, that you may recommend? Thanks Rgds Dee
Reply
Hi Dee, It's such a subjective thing - the GPs and the local health authority (?) judging who's "deserving" - I'd imagine it gets very frustrating. It sounds like you've got the right mindset, though. I've read elsewhere online of people saying, "Just pretend to be depressed", etc. It's admirable that you're not willing to go down that road. :) Nope, I've never had a tummy tuck; just really interested in it. I moved to the UK 2.5 years ago from America and the whole idea of having gov't healthcare is still baffling to me sometimes. ;) Recommendations-wise, you can try our "Find a Doctor" directory. As far as I know, all of the UK docs listed are specialist plastic surgeons. Good luck! --Sharon
Reply
Hiya Sharon, Thank you for your thoughts. Sorry I have not replied promptly, but here goes..I have now narrowed a list of plastic surgerns near to where I live, I am going for it next year, I will keep you posted, it costs about £5600 if its in a non-private clinic ie a hospital that the surgen uses, however if its in a private clinic then it costs around £7000, lipsuction is extra. I think from the pictures that I have seen on the web the best tucks seem to be in America anyway..if I had relatives there I would have done in there.. I am a bit sceptic about the results but I am willing to take the risk, so I will just have to see, I probably will go for the consultation sometime in January and get it done sometime in February, my husband has to take time off work to help me with the babies, and I need to watch my weight over xmas. Rgds Dee
Reply