Does Microdermabrasion Remove Pigmentation Marks on Black Skin?

I am fairly light skinned but i have developed some black marks below and on the sides of my eyes, the marks are very symetrical i.e they are exactly in the same places on both sides of my face. When i look in the mirror they are all i see and are affecting my self esteem, i need to have them removed. Will Microdermabrasion work for me?

Microdermabrasion as an effective treatment for melasma, pigmentation of the skin

+3

Pigmentary changes of the skin are related to genetics, hormones, sun exposure, and inflammation. These four factors cannot be cured by microdermabrasion.

In order to effect a clinical reduction in melanocyte production of melanin, you must address the melanocytes on the deep surface of the skin. This is not acheivable with a no downtime microdermabrasion procedure.

Consider chemical peels, prescription topicals, and deeper laser depending on your skin type. I advise patients to begin Melarase creams to reduce the risk of hyperpigmentation. 

Pigmentation is a serious problem that affects many women. You must really go to an expert in cosmetic pigmentation who will explain these issues in concrete terms like this article.

Microdermabrasion for pigmentation

+2

Microdermabrasion can work for faint, superficial pigmentation but it typically takes multiple treatments.

True dermabrasion is more effective (like any ablative therapy) but can cause hypo or hyper pigmenation post-operatively for people with darker skin types and must be used with caution. This is true of other ablative therapies including some laser modalities.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Pigmentation tends to be much deeper than where microdermabrasion reaches.

+1

Microdermabrasion only removes the superficial dead skin cells, leaving a smoother and more radiant appearance.

Pigmentation is usually much deeper, and isn't reached with this treatment. Your best option is to see your dermatologist to diagnose what exactly you are experiencing. 

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Microdermabrasion and Black Marks

+1

Microdermabrasion does not typically help the black marks that you described. Vist you dermatologist who could determine if your dark marks is a result of pigment, blood vessles or something else. The most effective treatment would be one which takes into consideration for the cause of th dark marks.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon