Does Laser Hair Removal Work?

• 3 years ago

before I spend hundreds on LHR, want to make sure it really works!  

Laser is an effective treatment for hair removal

May 1st, 2012

Yes, laser hair removal really works.  I can tell you personally, because I have had it and it is very effective.  Our machine, the Cynosure Elite, is the fastest and most effective laser that I have seen.  As with any machine, one treatment is not enough and you will require several treatments to maximize your results.  However, you should be pleasantly surprised about how quick and effective the treatments are.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

David Shafer, MD

Laser hair removals works: on the right hairs!

November 4th, 2010

Laser hair removal definitely works, but it works best on dark hairs on a light background... and not at all on white or blonde or red hairs. The laser needs the dark hair as a target, and the lighter the surrounding skin is, the easier it is for the laser to treat without damaging the area around. So dark hair on dark skin, tricky. Light hair on any skin, get electrolysis instead.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Laser Hair Removal Works

September 30th, 2010

Yes, laser hair removal works on dark coarse hairs.  It does not work on silver or gray hairs and it's difficult to treat very very thin hairs such as the fuzzy baby hairs typically found on the sides of the face. 

Amir Moradi, MD

Amir Moradi, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser hair reduction

June 9th, 2010

Yes, laser hair removal works but there are some guidelines that patients must be aware of to optimize their treatments and ultimately the long term success.  First, contrary to popular belief a successful treatment course is not based on 100% removal of all hair for the remainder of ones life time.  Also not all hair colors can be treated will high efficacy. 

The most effective treatments occur when the hair is dark black or brown and the hair is in it's active growth state. Multiple treatments are required and are usually spaced anywhere from 3-6 weeks apart.  Each body part has a different growth rate so if you are treating several areas at the same time you many need to stagger appointments to capture that optimum growth state. 

Hair can only be treated if it is actively growing and somewhere close to the surface of the skin.  If the full shaft of the hair is removed prior to treatment there is no conduit for the laser light to reach the hair root.  Shaving or clipping is the best way to maintain active hair growth. 

As you age different hair follicles will mature and produce hair.  Hormonal changes will aggravate this somewhat.  If your hormones are volatile and change on a regular basis just be aware that you may need touch up treatments throughout your life time.

Finally not all lasers/light devices and facilities are created equally.  There is not a one size fits all method of treatment and a weekend seminar does not make a technician an expert.  Lasers come in all different wave lenghts.  Depending on your skin type and hair color one may be better for you than another. Lasers are very powerful and can cause damage. Be sure that your technician has experience and knows the capabilities of the laser that they are using.

Lee Robinson, MD - RETIRED

Lee Robinson, MD - RETIRED
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Great results with Laser Hair Removal

March 9th, 2010

Yes, laser hair removal does work. There are a few requirements to get the best results. The laser goes after melanin, so the darker the hair the better the result. Follow the treatment schedule that is provided to you for the areas that are being treated, it’s for a reason.

The laser is only able to disable the hair follicle when it’s in the anagen (growth) phase. Different body areas grow at different speeds. At least two weeks prior to your treatment, make sure you have no sun exposure to the area that’s being treated, we want you to be as close to your baseline color as possible (this allows us to keep the setting the same or go a little more aggressive at your next treatment).

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Laser hair removal works

December 15th, 2009

There are many places that I feel have given laser hair removal a bad name. Laser hair removal works if you go to a reputable place that purchases and knows how to use the correct lasers on each individual. Not all lasers are created equal. There are so many lasers available on the market to doctors right now, ranging in price from $10,000 all the way up to $200,000. There are also lasers that are "all-in-ones", meaning that this one laser performs skin rejuvenation, leg vein removal, and hair removal. Most of these lasers do not work as well as a laser that was made specifically to target one thing.

I have many lasers in my practice. I have a laser that is made specifically for skin types I-IV to target dark hair, a laser made for skin types IV-VI, (dark skin), and many other lasers to target other skin concerns.

Alan M. Gardner, MD

Alan M. Gardner, MD
Atlanta Dermatologist

Laser Hair Removal has great results

November 19th, 2009

Laser hair removal can permanently reduce the growth of hair by 90%, and some patients have complete permanent hair removal. Five to seven sessions are necessary for optimal results. Each session is spaced out 4 to 6 weeks apart. Being consistent with your sessions are very important! The laser is attracted to pigment, such as brown or black hair. Any white, grey, or blonde hair cannot be seen by the laser, therefore, no result.

William J. Hedden, MD

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal does work

November 13th, 2009

Laser hair removal absolutely works when done correctly. The first important issue in regards to the effectiveness of laser hair removal relates to you the patient. The best candidates will have hair that has some color and coarseness to it. Very fine hair, red hair, blond hair and gray hair are red flags for laser hair removal because your hair needs some color and density for the procedure to work well.

If you have hair with some color and coarsness the next step is to make sure you are being treated with the right laser. Diode and Alexandrite lasers are recommended for lighter skin types and long pulsed Nd:Yg lasers for darker skin types. Make sure the practitioner you are considering has the right one for you. We do not recommend IPL because lasers are more specific to the target (hair) and less likely to produce an unintended side effect like burns or blisters. Finally, choose an exerienced practitioner.

If you have the right type of hair and the right laser is used by an experienced practitioner, you will have a good outcome for laser hair removal.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Yes, laser hair removal works

September 11th, 2009

Certainnon surgical treatments work like Botox and Laser Hair Removal. The proof is the simple fact that patient return again and again for these treatments.

James A. Rieger, MD

James A. Rieger, MD
Wichita Plastic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal: How does it work?

January 10th, 2009

Laser hair removal works by a process known as selective photothermolysis, wherein a specific wavelength of light is directed towards the skin and hair. The light energy is selectively absorbed by the hair follicle over the skin and the hair follicle heats up and dies. The process is actually very simple.

Warning about laser hair removal: The treatments should be done under direct physician supervision and be careful you are actually getting a laser treatment vs. other alternative treatments that are referred to as 'laser hair removal' by aestheticians and nurses.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.