Does Fraxel Work for Hyperpigmented African American Skin?

When I was a teen I squeezed every pimple that I had. The results of that was dark spots on my chin and forehead. Will Fraxel help these acne scar spots fade?

Proceed with caution

+3

Fraxel is supposed to be safe for all skin types. I would, however, proceed with caution and have a test patch first to see if affects the skin pigment. Another option that works well with the type of acne scarring you describe, is the Obagi system. It's less expessive and can have dramatic results. I would consult with a Physician who has access to both types of treatment.

Medford Plastic Surgeon

See a laser specialist before proceeding

+2

There is a chance that the pigmentation can improve with the Fraxel, but unfortunately, there is a chance that the pigment of your skin can be stimulated by the healing phase after laser and you might get darker. It would be important to do several tests with the Fraxel on less noticeable facial areas before treating the affected dark spots.

Keep in mind that if the test shows that you responded well, there still is a chance you may heal with darker pigment once the dark spots are treated. Several treatments will be needed. Be sure to consult with a laser specialist that has worked significantly on skin of color.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com

Treating post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation for African American skin

+2

It is hard to tell from the photograph, but it looks like you only have post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. While Fraxel can be used on darker skin, it must be done with caution and several precautions for best results. I'd likely try you on a skin care program first to fade the spots. Practicing in New Orleans, I see this condition frequently, and have great success with more conservative and less costly therapies than Fraxel.

Web reference: http://www.drmarylupo.com

New Orleans Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.