Does Fraxel Re:Pair Require More Than One Treatment for Acne Scars?

I have olive skin and I am very prone to hyperpigmentation. I have acne scarring on my T-Zone area. I'm considering Fraxel Re:Pair to treat the scarring, but i need to know how many treatments it will take to relieve the scars. I'm reading different opinions all over the Internet.

Editor's Note: See answers on related question,  Why multiple treatments of Fraxel Repair?

Fraxel re:pair for Acne Scarring

+3

Hi Innovation,

The number of Fraxel re:pair laser treatments for acne scarring depend upon the degree of scarring and the individual patients healing response. At our initial consultation I inform my patients that for acne scarring it may take anywhere from one to three treatments separated by 4 to 6 months each. I have treated some patients successfully in one treatment while others have needed more treatments.

You should pre-treat your skin with hydroquinolone cream to minimize the chances for hyperpigmentation. Post treatment use a physical sun block and avoid sun exposure. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Olive skin isn't the best type for any laser, let alone re:pair

+2

Acne scarring responds somewhat poorly in general to lasers, including the re:pair. Olive skin is also another relative problem with the re:pair, especially if you tend to pigment after procedures. While none of these would keep you from performing the procedure, they are all 'danger' signals that you may not have the best results.

I would consider other things such as fillers that are a great result in many people and can be used in olive skinned individuals without any problems.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

Depends on Your Situation

+1

The number of laser treatments depend on the degree of acne scarring you would actually need. If it is minimal, one session is only needed but if it is more severe, multiple sessions are relevant. It really depends on the individual and their situation.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon