Does Breast Implant Manufacturer Matter?

One breast augmentation consultation had a surgeon talking up mentor implants. Another was suggesting Natrelle implants.  I read both mentor and Natrelle websites and can't tell a difference.  Can a plastic surgeon help me understand the differences, if any?

Pick your surgeon, not your implant manufacturer.

+5

Both the leading implant manufacturers, Mentor and Allergan (Natrelle), make quality products. Good results can be achieved with either. What is important, is not the implant itself, but the surgeon performing the operation.

In the past I have used both products, and now use one almost exclusively. The reason for this is the relationship I have with the manufacturer and its representative who I deal with on a very frequent basis. In turn, this relationship will benefit my patients, because of the service offered to me, and to them. I suspect that this is the main reason most surgeons will pick one manufacturer over the other.

Having looked at the data on each of their products, I am hard pressed to say that there is an appreciable difference in one over the other when it comes to results. The biggest difference is in the surgeon placing the implant, not the implant itself.

So, choose your surgeon wisely. Make sure they are board-certified plastic surgeons and members of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Make sure that they take the time to listen to you and understand the results you are trying to achieve. Once you find the physician you are comfortable with you should trust his/her judgment about which implant company works the best for them.

Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Both Mentor and Allergan breast implants are fine.

+3

Hi.

1)  In New York City, we personally prefer Mentor cohesive silicone gel breast implants. In the latest study, there was only a 1.1% rupture rate after 6 years, which is very low.

2) But the surgeon is much more important than the implant.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Much more difference between surgeons than implants

+2

I personally prefer Mentor implants but believe that the other products are probable equally well manufactured. The difference in your final result will be far more impacted by whom you choose to do your surgery and by whether you have gel or saline than by which manufacturer your doctor prefers.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast implants

+1

The most important thing is who is putting the implants in. There are some differences between the two companies but in the end that is not very high on the list of important things to look for in breast augmentation

David E. Kim, MD

Breast Implant Manufacturer

+1

In my opinion both Natrellle breast implants and Mentor breast implants are very similar in profile, performance and durability.  Both products historically have been satisfying to both surgeons and patients. I strongly recommend selecting your surgeon based on training, experience and aesthetic sensibility rather than on the basis of which brand of breast implant they typically use.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Companies

+1
Both companies are reputable with good products (similar characteristics and warranties). On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

Does silicone breast implant manufacturer matter?

+1

The short answer is no.  They are both FDA approved.  Both have good warranties.  Both are good implants.  your plastic surgeon may have a preference based on his experience.  There is more variability between surgeons and technique than with the implants themselves.

Speak with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to see what is the best pathway for you.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Breast Implant companies

+1

I personally do not think that there is a significant difference between implants from the two major US manufacturers. I have been happy with both of them.

Breast implant manufacturer doesn't matter

+1

NO, I use both implants and only find small differences. You cannot use the issue of the implant company in making a decision to have breast implants.

Either Mentor (Johnson and Johnson) or Allergan (Natrelle,Latisse, Botox etc) make great implants

+1

Like most of my colleagues, I have used most of the implants on the American market and have my preferences. Moreover, you will not be surprised to learn that just as tastes in clothing, greeting cards and foods vary from one geographic area to another, so do tastes in the size and shape of breasts. On the whole, larger implants are more acceptable and even desired in the South than in the Northeast or Northwest.

Both current breast implant manufacturers Mentor (owned by Johnson and Johnson) and Natrelle (formerly, Inamed, formerly Mcghan - owned by Allergan the producer of Botox, Latisse, Juvederm etc) - back their implants with a LIFETIME WARRANTY.

To afford my patients a choice of Any implant on the market, I stay in good rapport with both companies.

Ask YOUR surgeon why he/she prefers one implant over another. nothing wrong with asking.

Dr. P. Aldea