How much does Asian Eyelid Surgery Cost?

Does Asian eyelid surgery cost more than a typical blepharoplasty? Just wondering is there's additional cost for asian blepharoplasty and also what the approximate price for this surgery is...also is it more expensive if you have the upper and lower lids done?

Asian Eyelid Surgery: You get what you pay for

+2

I have heard prices ranging from $1500 to $4,000.   I do charge a little more for my Asian eyelid cases since I'm a specialist but not significantly more than I do for a non-Asian bleph.  The skill, knowledge of anatomical differences, and experience are very important.

Additionally, nearly 30% of my practice is revision or redo surgeries from overseas.  Now that is not to say that surgeons in Korea, Japan, Taiwan, etc. aren't excellent.  They are, but there is not a surgical procedure out there that has zero risk.   When you pay a discounted price far from home you have no surgeons to see when you leave for a problem or even a question.  Qualified surgeons in your area are here to see you and answer questions after surgery. 

My prices (and most great Asian eyelid surgeons in the area) are essentially all inclusive.  The cost of the procedure includes your consultation, surgery, and all of your post operative care.   Paying the right price with the right doctor gets you personalized surgery, a number with a doctor on the other end of the phone (even at night), and excellent post operative care.

Best of luck

Dr. Chase Lay

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian Eyelid Surgery Costs

+1

Thanks for the great question. The cost for an "Asian blepharoplasty" or "double eyelid surgery" will vary based on the part of the country you are in and the training of the specialist.  Generally, this is between $2500 and $4000 in the San Francisco Bay Area.  The procedure, when done well, produces excellent aesthetic results with minimal downtime. It can be performed with local anesthesia in the office, or in a surgery center, depending on patient preference.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pricing for Blepharoplasty Surgery

+1

You will find many different answers depending on who your ask.  Cost will vary depending on many factors.... first of all it differs depending on if a board certified plastic surgeon is performing the surgery or not.  Also, if the surgery is performed in a hospital based operating room vs. an office setting, if a board certified anesthesiologist is involved vs. a nurse (or sometimes performing procedures under local anesthesia), etc.  Please be careful when doing your research to make sure your surgeon is properly trained and has experience in this procedure. Eyelid surgery can range from $3000-$6000 depending on if just the upper eyelids are treated or both upper and lower (yes, it's more expensive if both upper and lower are performed.)

Cost of Asian double fold procedure

+1

An Asian double fold procedure runs between $2800-$3200. Upper and lower blepharoplasty runs around $5600.

Gilbert Lee, MD

I usually charge the same fee

+1

the technique for converting an Oriental to a Western eyelid varies depending on what you start with ,but I usually charge a standard fee for cosmetic eyelid surgery. Reconstructive surgery for a congenital problem or for trauma or complications from prior surgery is more expensive

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

What Does Asian Eyelid Surgery Cost? Price Vs. Blepharoplasty

+1

Asian eyelid surgery is more difficult to perform then standard blepharoplasty.  However, as in most surgeries, not all Asian eyelid surgeries are the same.  Price depends on what needs to be done to make the eyelids look the way you want them to look.  A detailed consultation with your particular desires and expectations is essential.  Also, whether your surgery can be performed in the office versus an operating room makes a difference in the overall price of the procedure.

In terms of both upper and lower eyelid surgeries, most surgeons give a discount on multiple procedures being done at the same time.  Therefore, although you will pay additionally for lower eyelid surgery at the same time as upper eyelid surgery, the price of the lower eyelid procedure should be discounted.  

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asian Blepharoplasty

+1

As an ophthalmic plastic surgeon, this is a more common procedure for me. I charge roughly $2500 for both eyes. This does not include the facility fee and/or anesthesia. I wrote and/or for anesthesia because in patients over 21, I can do this procedure in the office. The total fee is around 3500-4000.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asian eyelid surgery it cost more and less

+1

Asian blepharoplasty  is the formation or an enhancement of the upper eyelid.  It is more complex than a standard blepharolplasty as there are many factors which can potentially result in less than an ideal result.  The procedure differs between surgeons but the critical component of the operation is how the the crease is formed.  This additional time and precision to an operation which already requires meticulous attention to details.  The upper eyelid can be unforgiving to any errors technical, diagnostic or  perioperative care.  It is an operation where 1 mm of asymmetry can cause a patient to be unhappy.  So in theory the operation should cost more.  

The reality is where you live has a significant impact on cost.  In Southern California, where the operation is very common, the range of individuals who do this operation is broad and sometimes illegal.  Many Asian cultures have developed small communities such as Koreatown or Little Saigon.  Due to language and cultural differences, expectations and standards may differ significantly.  It is not uncommon for the operation to be performed by an unlicensed person in a room with only local anesthesia at a fee of less than $1000.  In addition many doctors, who have no training in aesthetic surgery perform the procedure and charge fees which are also very low.  This effects the fees of the surgeons who have the training to perform the operation.  

Another factor is the get in another country.  Patients may find the concept of going to a country of their culture origin can give them the ability to pay much lower fees and have a vacation to possibly visit relatives and recuperate from the surgery away from their friends.  I have had patients come to me for various problems after such trips.  Post operative follow up is an essential part of any procedure.  

This comes to the phone call to my office for inquires in the procedure.  In an ideal world one should be paid a fair wage for the work done.  Indeed their is more work in performing this operation, but in my practice I would rarely do one of these procedures if they were priced accordingly.  This does not apply everywhere to everyone but does provide some insight into this issue.

Dennis J. Bang, MD

Asian eyelid cost

+1

Generally it does cost more than a regular Blephroplasty because it is more technically difficult to perform, and there are diffrences in technique such as more fat on the lid and insertion of the muscles of the eyelid. Upper and Lower would deffinately be priced seperately.

Good Luck!

Sofia Rubbani, MD
Manhattan Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asian Eyelid Surgery will generally cost more

+1

Asian eyelid surgery requires significant technical precision, a greater understanding of eyelid anatomy, and an understanding of what constitutes Asian eyelid beauty. These three concepts cannot be over emphacized. Setting the lid and throwing down some sutures to create a fold is not enough. There are extremely important anatomic structures in the Asian eyelid that must be addressed to create the best, most natural outcome. These structures include the orbicularis muscle, the orbital fat, the orbital septum, the levator muscle, and the tarsus. All of these structures work together and need to be precisely addressed. Because of the additional techniques and sutures required to perform Asian eyelid surgery, it will cost more.

Charles K. Lee, MD