Hello Doctors, Am I a Candidate for Hairline Lowering Surgery? (photo)

I have felt as though I have a bit of long forehead, nothing extreme but I would still try to hide it lol. Do you all consider my forehead to be long or am I just exaggerating?

Hairline lowering

+2

It would be helpful to see a picture of your entire face, but I would say that your forehead does not appear to be long.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Grafting and Surgical Hairline Advancement

+1
There are two techniques for advancing the overly high hairline- hair grafting, and the surgical hairline advancement (SHA).  Few doctors offer both of these procedures, but given my experience as a facial plastic surgeon specializing in hair restoration, it makes sense that I can not only offer them to my patients, but also specialize in performing them.  The SHA technique is a 2 hour procedure performed usually under local anesthesia with some oral sedation (but if desired, can be performed under intravenous sedation) that involves making an incision along the hairline and advancing it, lowering it by as much as 1 ½ inches (3.5 cm) or more in a single procedure, removing the excessively high forehead skin, with virtually instantaneous results.   The sutures along the hairline are removed at 5 to 7 days, leaving a fine line scar that is designed so that hairs actually grow through it.  To secure the advanced hairline in its more forward position, oftentimes small Endotine" hooks are placed below the scalp, which dissolve after 4 to 6 months (they cannot be felt unless you push down directly on them).  This procedure is best for patients with a flexible scalp to allow for sufficient advancement, and can be combined with a browlift for patients desiring a more youthful eye region if the eyebrows have fallen with age.  To assess your scalp laxity, you need to place your index finger right on the midaspect of your hairline, and see how far it can move back and forth-  this total excursion is a reasonable estimate of just how far the scalp can be advanced with the SHA.  Another requirement for being a good candidate is that there should not be any thinning of the frontal hairline, and that the hairline hairs are stable.   Lastly, some patients choose to undergo hair grafting after the SHA to both round out the hairline, allowing filling in of the temporal regions, as well as to help further conceal the fine line scar that may be visible in the occasional patient.  This grafting can be performed as soon as 3 months after the SHA, and typically ranges from 300 to as many as 800 grafts.

The more commonly chosen procedure to advance the overly high hairline is hair grafting.  This is a typically less "surgical" procedure, involving the transplanting of 1200 to as many as 2400 grafts (depending on how much lowering is desired) in a single procedure, taking 3 to as many as 8 hours to perform (it is a very meticulous procedure).  Every graft is placed into tiny recipient sites (0.5 to 0.8 mm in size) each one made by me- these sites then determine the direction, pattern, and angulation of growth to assure a natural appearance.  The transplanted hairs typically fall out within 3 weeks, then start to regrow at 4 months, taking a full 10 months or longer for final results.  The hair grafting procedure is ideal for hairlines that are thin or thinning out, for those who want a hairline that not only is lower but also is more rounded, and for those who opt not to have or are not good candidates for the SHA.

In your case, I cannot assess your candidacy for the SHA, which can only be done by a video.  However, as it is unlikely that you are seeking more than 3/4 of an inch of advancement, hair grafting is likely a great choice for you.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hairline lowering surgery

+1

I agree with others who replied.  Although photos of your entire face would be better, it does not appear that your forehead is too long or that you need hairline lowering surgery.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hairline lowering surgery

+1

Your hairline is actually on the low side.  Do not lower your hairline.  What specifically is bothering your appearance?  Seek a consultation with a Facial Plastic Surgeon.  Express your concerns and they will give suggestions to achieve your goals. 

All the best.

David Alessi, MD

Short forehead does not need forehead lift.

+1

Hi.

Your pictures seem to show a narrow forehead actually.  So there must be some other issue that is bothering you.  You don't need hairline lowering.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Hairline Lowering with Natural Result

+1

If the length of your forehead bothers you the hairline can be lowered to improve facial proportions. This is a procedure we have done many times since we first described it many years ago.

Long Forehead

+1

A hairline can certainly be lowered, but you do not appear to need it.  You can measure it.  If forehead is longer than 6 cm, then this may be high.

Long forehead?

+1

It appears from these photos that you do not have a long forehead. If the shape of your hairline concerns you, it could be addressed surgically.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon